Old 06-09-2007, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Citrus medica 'Buddha's Hand'

Great excitement down here - Ray has successfully propagated about half a
dozen of these from the small plant I gave him in March *and* the parent
plant has lots of new fruits on it in varying sizes. They aren't used for
culinary purposes much - apart from candying the peel - but are used to
scent houses in Japan and China, apparently. The perfume of the fruit is
outstanding.
http://tinyurl.com/24ochj
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-09-2007, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Great excitement down here - Ray has successfully propagated about half a
dozen of these from the small plant I gave him in March *and* the parent
plant has lots of new fruits on it in varying sizes. They aren't used for
culinary purposes much - apart from candying the peel - but are used to
scent houses in Japan and China, apparently. The perfume of the fruit is
outstanding.
http://tinyurl.com/24ochj
--
Sacha

and will these be for sale?

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

Old 06-09-2007, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote...
"Sacha" wrote ...
Great excitement down here - Ray has successfully propagated about half a
dozen of these from the small plant I gave him in March *and* the parent
plant has lots of new fruits on it in varying sizes. They aren't used
for
culinary purposes much - apart from candying the peel - but are used to
scent houses in Japan and China, apparently. The perfume of the fruit is
outstanding.
http://tinyurl.com/24ochj

and will these be for sale?

You don't have to wait for Ray's to grow Mike, takes a long time anyway, you
can buy a fruiting one at..
http://www.citruscentre.co.uk/
Personally I'd rather have Lemon, Tahiti Lime, Orange or Grapefruit (in that
order) but they are certainly a talking point.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-09-2007, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Great excitement down here - Ray has successfully propagated about half a
dozen of these from the small plant I gave him in March *and* the parent
plant has lots of new fruits on it in varying sizes. They aren't used for
culinary purposes much - apart from candying the peel - but are used to
scent houses in Japan and China, apparently. The perfume of the fruit is
outstanding.

What a co-incidence. I was just discussing this citrus today with a friend.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/9/07 10:17, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Great excitement down here - Ray has successfully propagated about half a
dozen of these from the small plant I gave him in March *and* the parent
plant has lots of new fruits on it in varying sizes. They aren't used for
culinary purposes much - apart from candying the peel - but are used to
scent houses in Japan and China, apparently. The perfume of the fruit is
outstanding.

What a co-incidence. I was just discussing this citrus today with a friend.

Do you have it? I think it's grown in Australia, probably more as a
curiosity than anything else but once ours produces enough fruits, I hope to
keep them in various parts of the house. Bob's right that they're not very
fast growing, though Ray's has probably put on about 4" and has provided a
fair bit of cutting material. He's going to keep those as propagators, too
until we get a good stock of them. The straightforward Citrus medica we
took to Devon County Show was a show-stopper this year. We arranged it
beside a table with a bottle of gin, a tumbler and some tonic water. ;-)
This is a pic I took of Ray (and assistants) with the tree. It's
astonishing that such a baby tree can produce several enormous fruits.
http://i12.tinypic.com/4pn3tdv.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Great excitement down here - Ray has successfully propagated about half
dozen of these from the small plant I gave him in March *and* the parent
plant has lots of new fruits on it in varying sizes. They aren't used
for
culinary purposes much - apart from candying the peel - but are used to
scent houses in Japan and China, apparently. The perfume of the fruit
is
outstanding.

What a co-incidence. I was just discussing this citrus today with a
friend.

Do you have it? I think it's grown in Australia, probably more as a
curiosity than anything else but once ours produces enough fruits,

I don't personally have it but I know it is available here. The other
citrus we were discussing was the Native Limes which are becoming a big item
here of late as are a lot of other bush tucker plants.
http://www.abc.net.au/landline/conte...4/s1057751.htm

I hope to
keep them in various parts of the house. Bob's right that they're not
very
fast growing, though Ray's has probably put on about 4" and has provided a
fair bit of cutting material. He's going to keep those as propagators,
too
until we get a good stock of them. The straightforward Citrus medica we
took to Devon County Show was a show-stopper this year. We arranged it
beside a table with a bottle of gin, a tumbler and some tonic water. ;-)
This is a pic I took of Ray (and assistants) with the tree. It's
astonishing that such a baby tree can produce several enormous fruits.
http://i12.tinypic.com/4pn3tdv.jpg[/IMG]

For some reason it won't show. I can just see a lot of fruit and the very
top of what I assume is Ray's head

Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/9/07 13:01, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:
snip For some reason it won't show. I can just see a lot of fruit and
the very
top of what I assume is Ray's head

Hmmm. Don't understand that. What you're seeing is the Meyer's lemon.