Old 08-09-2007, 10:57 PM
cordowr cordowr is offline
Registered User

Location: Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Sep 1, 5:29 am, cordowr wrote:
This year a seedling appeared in the veg plot which looked like a
squash. I assumed the seed must have come from the compost where I had
put the previous years marrow innards after we ate the rest. I cut the
first fruit last night. It had the colour of a marrow but a bit 'dumpy'
about a foot long and a little tapered.

My question which I hope someone can advise me about is:
Is it the mould which has made the fruits toxic or is it possibly a
toxic squash which found it's way here by maybe bird seed and is it
safe to use the compost?

Alex

--
cordowr

Just to add to what others have said, please do not throw mouldy fruit
or leaves into your mulch... the mould will thrive! Throw it in the
rubbish bin or burn it.

You may well have eaten a decorative squash.... In the future, when
confronted by white mould, try spraying camomile tea on the infected
plants - organic and effective natural remedy!

bon appetite,
Outre
Thanks for the advice Outre
It may well encourage me to drink more camomile tea instead of the caffeinated stuff too!

All the Best