Old 03-04-2003, 03:56 AM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Meeting programs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Lewis"
Subject: [IBC] Meeting programs

It seems that you (and your club) need to figure out how to get

your
attendance up, grow some funds and then make some speaker

choices. What
good is a list of 100 speakers if you don't take advantage of

them when they
drive by your town, or don't show up when they stop at your

town?

Well, I voted to have you here, Dale. But we only got a list of
4 or 5, if I recall.
And we've got to figure out a LOT of things.
Jim Lewis -

Jim,
Well, I wasn't necessarily speaking of me. It sounds like your club has had
LOTS of entertainment pass by. You are not alone however. Many clubs just
can't seem to "get it together" anymore for speakers/programs.
When we have a speaker we always arrange for the demo tree to be raffled off
at the meeting. Some clubs will sell tickets on the tree for two or three
later meetings. I find that people will usually buy tickets at more than one
meeting. Back in January ( I think) I did a pot demo for an Ohio club, and
supplied them with an already-finished pot to raffle. They sold tickets for
two or three following meetings. I'd think they'd about payed for the
program.

You can also have club sales where the club gets a % or buy/sell trees at
your local show. One of the arboretums in Ohio has an annual bonsai show.
Long before the show they buy a bunch of stock and a local club volunteers
to go pot/stytle it and then the arboretum sells it in their outside bonsai
display area during the show. The local club also provides most of the show
trees. ( the arb has it's own permanent collection).

If there are any folks in your club who might be approached as "benefactors"
that REALLY helps and they might donate funds often if they are properly
thanked for their generosity.

There are lots of ways to make money outside of normal club dues, and that's
what it takes to support a good speaker program.

As far as getting people to show up...well, I've always believed ( and told
anyone in organizations that would listen) that you have to really make
people think they missed something if they don't go. If they don't think
they missed anything...then why go to the next one! You really need to play
up the LAST program before you play up the NEXT program!!
Dale

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++