Old 09-09-2007, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default Tulip tree - not looking happy

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 09:51:06 +0200
"David \(Normandy\)" wrote:

Can't have too many of 'em. Anyway we live in "The Suffering" in the town
of
"The Coffin." Up the road is "The Mountain of Dead" which is less
succinct than
"Death Town." If living in The Suffering weren't bad enough, just past my
neighbor,
the 12th century leper colony, is "The Trembling."

Rather cheery hereabouts. Just don't wander around the garden after
sunset.
Anyway I hope the Corstorphinse maple feels at home!
--
Emery Davis

Sounds like somewhere that Stephen King would live :-) or at least, write
about.

Actually more of the usual sort of story: big battle area (52 BC) between
Gauls and Romans, locals piled up here, invaders piled up there. But there's
been a lot of conflict here abouts for a long time. More recently it was a big
resistance centre during the war.

I'm interested in the story connected to your house, if you like I could give
talk to the neighbor, or the Maire, and give you a translation. Must be a bit
frustrating not knowing.

There's a town not far from here with a "great" story, true by all accounts.
A Parisian lady came to her country house and found a strange shoe in the
middle of the floor of the salon. All the doors and windows were locked properly,
nothing missing, the Police were baffled. It was some months later before she
arrived to find, again in the middle of the floor, the mummified foot.

The rest of the body was stuck in the chimney, where he had tried to enter from
the roof.

I've never heard whether she sold the house, or merely arranged for more
frequent "ramonage..."

-E
--
Emery Davis