Old 08-09-2007, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tulip tree - not looking happy

I planted a tulip tree in Spring. A good healthy looking specimen around 6
feet tall.
It has been well watered due to the weather. Perhaps too well watered?

Over the last few weeks it's leaves have turned brown. Anyone know if it is
dying or is just taking an early Autumn?

Photo at:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/images/Hpim5755a.jpg

David.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 17:38:32 +0200
"David \(Normandy\)" wrote:

I planted a tulip tree in Spring. A good healthy looking specimen around 6
feet tall.
It has been well watered due to the weather. Perhaps too well watered?

Over the last few weeks it's leaves have turned brown. Anyone know if it is
dying or is just taking an early Autumn?

Photo at:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/images/Hpim5755a.jpg

Hi David,

I can't believe you watered this year! :\ Many of my new maples are
chlorotic due to water logged roots...

The normal fall colour is a good yellow, my Liriodendron hasn't started to
turn yet. But of course first year all bets are off. Hard to tell if it's going
to live, you have to just wait and hope. You can scratch a twig to see if
the cambium is green underneath, if it's not at least that twig is dead.

Otherwise, hope it makes buds and wait 'til next spring.

I planted a Betula utilis over the winter -- bare root -- and it has done
much like your tulip tree. But it has buds and the scratch test comes up
green, so I'm keeping fingers crossed.

Amazing statement of how bad the year has been, my birch and your tulip
tree, both should be completely easy and trouble free...

BTW, sorry I missed stopping for the creeper seedlings. Things as usual
got a little too hectic. Maybe next spring. I appear to have a bunch of viable
seed from the yellow Corstorphine plane tree -- the haunted Scottish
maple -- which is very unusual. So perhaps I can arrange for the ghosts
of Lord Forrester and his murderer to convene at your house, too. (Although
given that we don't know who the other parent is, maybe you'll only get
one ghost.)

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 08-09-2007, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I can't believe you watered this year! :\ Many of my new maples are
chlorotic due to water logged roots...

You misunderstood. I haven't watered it (expect after planting it), I meant
all the rain maybe had kept it rather too well watered.

Otherwise, hope it makes buds and wait 'til next spring.

I've just had a close look and it has lots of little green buds. Seems like
a good sign then.

BTW, sorry I missed stopping for the creeper seedlings. Things as usual
got a little too hectic. Maybe next spring. I appear to have a bunch of
viable
seed from the yellow Corstorphine plane tree -- the haunted Scottish
maple -- which is very unusual. So perhaps I can arrange for the ghosts
of Lord Forrester and his murderer to convene at your house, too.
(Although
given that we don't know who the other parent is, maybe you'll only get
one ghost.)

-E

We sometimes think the house is haunted anyway, so an extra ghost or two
would keep ours company. I think there was some sort of fatal tragedy at our
house in the not too distant past, our French hasn't yet reached the level
where we can get to the depth of this, other than to understand from our
neighbour that something terrible has happened here. (Other than the English
moving in :-)

David.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 20:33:51 +0200
"David \(Normandy\)" wrote:

I can't believe you watered this year! :\ Many of my new maples are
chlorotic due to water logged roots...

You misunderstood. I haven't watered it (expect after planting it), I meant
all the rain maybe had kept it rather too well watered.

Ah. I grok, only slowly.

Otherwise, hope it makes buds and wait 'til next spring.

I've just had a close look and it has lots of little green buds. Seems like
a good sign then.

It'll probably be fine then, so long as we get some cold weather before it
pushes out the leaves.

I should have mentioned, the tulip tree does well in dry.

[...]

Can't have too many of 'em. Anyway we live in "The Suffering" in the town of
"The Coffin." Up the road is "The Mountain of Dead" which is less succinct than
"Death Town." If living in The Suffering weren't bad enough, just past my neighbor,
the 12th century leper colony, is "The Trembling."

Rather cheery hereabouts. Just don't wander around the garden after sunset.
Anyway I hope the Corstorphinse maple feels at home!

-E

Old 08-09-2007, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/9/07 19:33, in article , "David
(Normandy)" wrote:

[...]

May be something to do with the war, David. I stayed in a place not far
from Chatelier with that kind of history and had one of the most terrifying
experiences of my life there. It was confirmed a day or two later by my
hostess when I finally found the courage to tell her about it.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-09-2007, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Can't have too many of 'em. Anyway we live in "The Suffering" in the town
of
"The Coffin." Up the road is "The Mountain of Dead" which is less
succinct than
"Death Town." If living in The Suffering weren't bad enough, just past my
neighbor,
the 12th century leper colony, is "The Trembling."

Rather cheery hereabouts. Just don't wander around the garden after
sunset.
Anyway I hope the Corstorphinse maple feels at home!
--
Emery Davis

Sounds like somewhere that Stephen King would live :-) or at least, write
about.

David

Old 09-09-2007, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 09:51:06 +0200
"David \(Normandy\)" wrote:

Can't have too many of 'em. Anyway we live in "The Suffering" in the town
of
"The Coffin." Up the road is "The Mountain of Dead" which is less
succinct than
"Death Town." If living in The Suffering weren't bad enough, just past my
neighbor,
the 12th century leper colony, is "The Trembling."

Rather cheery hereabouts. Just don't wander around the garden after
sunset.
Anyway I hope the Corstorphinse maple feels at home!
--
Emery Davis

Sounds like somewhere that Stephen King would live :-) or at least, write
about.

Actually more of the usual sort of story: big battle area (52 BC) between
Gauls and Romans, locals piled up here, invaders piled up there. But there's
been a lot of conflict here abouts for a long time. More recently it was a big
resistance centre during the war.

I'm interested in the story connected to your house, if you like I could give
talk to the neighbor, or the Maire, and give you a translation. Must be a bit
frustrating not knowing.

There's a town not far from here with a "great" story, true by all accounts.
A Parisian lady came to her country house and found a strange shoe in the
middle of the floor of the salon. All the doors and windows were locked properly,
nothing missing, the Police were baffled. It was some months later before she
arrived to find, again in the middle of the floor, the mummified foot.

The rest of the body was stuck in the chimney, where he had tried to enter from
the roof.

I've never heard whether she sold the house, or merely arranged for more
frequent "ramonage..."

-E