Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Pumpkins struggling

"Gill Matthews" wrote in message says...
Dont pumpkins like nitrogen? Arnt grass clippings high in nitrogen?

Might be a stupid question as I havent grown pumkins before but
wouldnt putting grass clippings around the plants help?

Grass cuttings are more likely to remove nitrogen from the soil. pumpkins
would
prefer well rotted compost.

Update : Thanks all. The pumpkins are growing on an established compost
heap, that hasn't had any new material added for over a year - i.e. the heap
is well rotted.
I've now removed all new flowers over the last fortnight and indeed the
fruits are swelling. I suspect the recent 'warm snap' has helped. Regards

Bertie