Old 24-08-2007, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pumpkins struggling

I've planted 2 pumpkins on the allotment, this is my first attempt. Each
plant has sent out a long 'runner', perhaps 2 metres long. There's 3 or 4
pumpkins growing on each plant, plus a couple at just the flower stage. The
largest fruit is perhaps one kilo, 180mm diameter.

I'm looking for maybe one large pumpkin on each plant, is it too late in the
year to expect this? If I remove the smaller fruits, will this encourage the
large one to reach full size or will it damage the plant? It's seed save
from one of last years shop bought, so I hope it's not F1.

Thanks Bertie

Old 24-08-2007, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Aug, 09:47, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
I've planted 2 pumpkins on the allotment, this is my first attempt. Each
plant has sent out a long 'runner', perhaps 2 metres long. There's 3 or 4
pumpkins growing on each plant, plus a couple at just the flower stage. The
largest fruit is perhaps one kilo, 180mm diameter.
I'm looking for maybe one large pumpkin on each plant, is it too late in the
year to expect this? If I remove the smaller fruits, will this encourage the
large one to reach full size or will it damage the plant? It's seed save
from one of last years shop bought, so I hope it's not F1.

It's not too late at all - but I'd take the flowers off now, recduce
the length of your vine by leaving 10 feet after your fruit which will
encourage your pumpkins to grow fatter (instead of putting on more
growth). Cut off side shoots too. If you want a large one and you've
got two on a plant, it's up to you to sacrifice the smaller to give
the large one more chance to grow larger. Did your fruit started in
July?! This is an important time to know how big your pumpkins can be.
If they are well set by July you can be sure you'll get large fruit by
October. If you want a large pumpkin you should get seeds from a
giant, either atlantic or Jack o'lanterns.

Old 31-08-2007, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dont pumpkins like nitrogen? Arnt grass clippings high in nitrogen?

Might be a stupid question as I havent grown pumkins before but
wouldnt putting grass clippings around the plants help?
Old 31-08-2007, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
tina writes:
| Dont pumpkins like nitrogen? Arnt grass clippings high in nitrogen?
|
| Might be a stupid question as I havent grown pumkins before but
| wouldnt putting grass clippings around the plants help?

Well, it might. The problem is generally the weather, as it has been
this year. My squashes have NOT done well, but have not done as badly
as some years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-08-2007, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
tina writes:
| Dont pumpkins like nitrogen? Arnt grass clippings high in nitrogen?
|
| Might be a stupid question as I havent grown pumkins before but
| wouldnt putting grass clippings around the plants help?

Well, it might. The problem is generally the weather, as it has been
this year. My squashes have NOT done well, but have not done as badly
as some years.

My only one has put on masses of lush leaves and lots of flowers but so far
there's only one baby squash.

I blame the weather too.

Mary

Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Matthews" wrote in message says...
Dont pumpkins like nitrogen? Arnt grass clippings high in nitrogen?

Might be a stupid question as I havent grown pumkins before but
wouldnt putting grass clippings around the plants help?

Grass cuttings are more likely to remove nitrogen from the soil. pumpkins
would
prefer well rotted compost.

Update : Thanks all. The pumpkins are growing on an established compost
heap, that hasn't had any new material added for over a year - i.e. the heap
is well rotted.
I've now removed all new flowers over the last fortnight and indeed the
fruits are swelling. I suspect the recent 'warm snap' has helped. Regards

Bertie