Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Book on show preparation?

Just had our very limited Gardening Club show last weekend. Several
entrants had to be confronted s their beloved onions or carrots or
courgettes etc had been disqualified by the judge. No reason given!

It didn't help that the judge was one of our members who regularly
sweeps the board with his daffodils etc as he exhibits at RHS hall
levels but will not share his secrets

However, they had to ask him why things had been disqualified only to
find he had done so because some had 'trimmed' up the exhibit in the
wrong way or an entry was too large by a few centimetres etc.

They want to now know what they should read to find out what regulations
say about stuff. I can then put the conditions etc in the Newsletter.
Have trawled through Medwyn's articles and the vegetable Society but
under preparation and exhibition it mainly seems to explain cultivation
not the actual rules of the show.

Does anyone know where I can get or even read a copy of such things as
size, condition etc things need to have?
I can find show regulations from the RHS about exhibits being in your
ownership for so long before a show etc and the type of plants but not
that you should leave the carrots root alone or leave the flower on a
courgette etc.

Anyone know where these rules might be? Don't mind buying a bible of
sorts if that's what it takes. At least then we wouldn't have upset
exhibitors. It takes us all our time to encourage them to enter!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association