Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
mel turner mel turner is offline

Default Identification-request

"Cornelius Drautz" wrote in message

Hi!

Can anyone identify this plant for me or tell me, where/how I can find
it out by myself?

http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p1.jpg
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p2.jpg
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p3.jpg

The plant was left in the flat I recently moved into and I would like
to know how I have to treat it.

It's a tillandsioid bromeliad, probably a Vriesia species [or one of
the Vriesia-like Tillandsia species]. They're relatively easy to grow
indoors.

http://bsi.org/
http://bsi.org/brom_info/growing/index.html

This one has already flowered, so any future growth and flowering
will be on new leafy offshoots that will arise from the base or
rhizome of this plant.

"Tank"-type bromeliads like this one are dependent on the water and
nutrients trapped among their leaf bases, and not so much on water
absorbed by the roots in the pot. In other words, you should water
and feed it in the center of the little "vase" of leaves, and there
should always be some water in there. In nature, these are epiphytes
that have roots mainly for holding on to tree branches, and absorb
water and nutrients from the large amounts of water trapped by their
leaves.

cheers