Old 11-09-2007, 02:21 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Identification-request

Hi!

Can anyone identify this plant for me or tell me, where/how I can find
it out by myself?

http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p1.jpg
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p2.jpg
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p3.jpg

The plant was left in the flat I recently moved into and I would like
to know how I have to treat it.

Thanks a lot in advance & greetings from Germany :-)

Cornelius
Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Cornelius Drautz" wrote in message

Hi!

Can anyone identify this plant for me or tell me, where/how I can find
it out by myself?

http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p1.jpg
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p2.jpg
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p3.jpg

The plant was left in the flat I recently moved into and I would like
to know how I have to treat it.

It's a tillandsioid bromeliad, probably a Vriesia species [or one of
the Vriesia-like Tillandsia species]. They're relatively easy to grow
indoors.

http://bsi.org/
http://bsi.org/brom_info/growing/index.html

This one has already flowered, so any future growth and flowering
will be on new leafy offshoots that will arise from the base or
rhizome of this plant.

"Tank"-type bromeliads like this one are dependent on the water and
nutrients trapped among their leaf bases, and not so much on water
absorbed by the roots in the pot. In other words, you should water
and feed it in the center of the little "vase" of leaves, and there
should always be some water in there. In nature, these are epiphytes
that have roots mainly for holding on to tree branches, and absorb
water and nutrients from the large amounts of water trapped by their
leaves.

cheers

Old 13-09-2007, 12:58 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

"mel turner" wrote:

Hi Mel,

Thank you for your response.

This one has already flowered, so any future growth and flowering
will be on new leafy offshoots that will arise from the base or
rhizome of this plant.

So I did the right thing by cutting off the "yellow part"/flower
yesterday? :-)
There are several purple "branches" on the outside of the
centre-leaves (see at the bottom of
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p3.jpg)), can i hope for a new
blossom/flower developing from one of those?

"Tank"-type bromeliads like this one are dependent on the water and
nutrients trapped among their leaf bases, and not so much on water
absorbed by the roots in the pot. In other words, you should water
and feed it in the center of the little "vase" of leaves, and there
should always be some water in there. In nature, these are epiphytes
that have roots mainly for holding on to tree branches, and absorb
water and nutrients from the large amounts of water trapped by their
leaves.

Ah, good to know! As you might have noticed, I haven't got any
experience with grwoing plants yet and my botany vocabulary isn't too
big, either.
In general: As long, as the leaves are green, the plant is still alive
and doing fine?

Greetings,

Cornelius
Old 13-09-2007, 01:01 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Cornelius Drautz wrote:

So I did the right thing by cutting off the "yellow part"/flower
yesterday? :-)
There are several purple "branches" on the outside of the
centre-leaves (see at the bottom of
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p3.jpg)), can i hope for a new
blossom/flower developing from one of those?

I just found http://bsi.org/brom_info/FAQ.html - I think, I got the
answers :-)

Cornelius
Old 13-09-2007, 07:57 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Cornelius Drautz wrote:

So I did the right thing by cutting off the "yellow part"/flower
yesterday? :-)

Yes, the flowering was finished.
Your main plant won't flower again, but it will make new leafy
branches that will flower in turn.

There are several purple "branches" on the outside of the
centre-leaves (see at the bottom of
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p3.jpg)), can i hope for a new
blossom/flower developing from one of those?

Yes. First, those young branches will have to grow out and make new
leafy plants similar to your existing plant.

They may grow out as a short or long rooting stem before
making a new leafy plant, or they may form a denser
clump apparently from a common base.

In nature bromeliads sometimes form large clumps of leafy
rosettes connected by these creeping rooting rhizomes.

I just found http://bsi.org/brom_info/FAQ.html - I think, I got the
answers :-)

Contrary to what they suggest, you can also simply choose to leave
the offsets attached to the original plant. They'll grow faster
living off of the "mother" plant than if they're cut off too soon.
When the new shoots get big enough they will flower and make new
leafy branches of their own.

When the clump of plants gets too large you can divide it into
smaller clumps or into single plants, discarding the old parts
that have already flowered.

cheers

Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"mel turner" wrote:

Yes. First, those young branches will have to grow out and make new
leafy plants similar to your existing plant.

They may grow out as a short or long rooting stem before
making a new leafy plant, or they may form a denser
clump apparently from a common base.

In nature bromeliads sometimes form large clumps of leafy
rosettes connected by these creeping rooting rhizomes.

I think, they did quite well:

http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/brom1.jpg
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/brom2.jpg
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/brom3.jpg
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/brom4.jpg
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/brom5.jpg

Contrary to what they suggest, you can also simply choose to leave
the offsets attached to the original plant. They'll grow faster
living off of the "mother" plant than if they're cut off too soon.
When the new shoots get big enough they will flower and make new
leafy branches of their own.

When the clump of plants gets too large you can divide it into
smaller clumps or into single plants, discarding the old parts
that have already flowered.

OK, so how do I divide the plant? Do I just cut the purple parts as
low as possible? And what to do next? Just put them into another pot
of soil? Or do I put it into a glass of water?

Would be very sad, if i killed the new offsets by treating them
incorrectly.

Thanx for further advice!

Cornelius
Old 05-06-2008, 03:59 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Cornelius Drautz wrote in news:6akojrF34q29fU1
@mid.dfncis.de:

"mel turner" wrote:

When the clump of plants gets too large you can divide it into
smaller clumps or into single plants, discarding the old parts
that have already flowered.

OK, so how do I divide the plant? Do I just cut the purple parts as
low as possible? And what to do next? Just put them into another pot
of soil? Or do I put it into a glass of water?

Would be very sad, if i killed the new offsets by treating them
incorrectly.

Thanx for further advice!

I have grown bromeliads in the past, the type that you have are easy to
grow. I would wait a while, when the new growth has roots, you can tear it
off the mother plant. Pot it into new soil of the type that you are getting
success with the original one, water it normally, and keep water in the
bucket part. Bromeliads get most of their water from within their leafy
bucket, and not so much from their roots.

Sean

Old 06-06-2008, 11:20 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Sean Houtman wrote:

I have grown bromeliads in the past, the type that you have are easy to
grow. I would wait a while, when the new growth has roots, you can tear it
off the mother plant. Pot it into new soil of the type that you are getting
success with the original one, water it normally, and keep water in the
bucket part. Bromeliads get most of their water from within their leafy
bucket, and not so much from their roots.

Thank you for your response. It might be a stupid question, but how do
I know if the offsprings have grown roots _before_ I tear them off the
mother plant?

Cornelius
Old 09-06-2008, 03:37 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Cornelius Drautz wrote in
:

Sean Houtman wrote:

I have grown bromeliads in the past, the type that you have are easy
to grow. I would wait a while, when the new growth has roots, you can
tear it off the mother plant. Pot it into new soil of the type that
you are getting success with the original one, water it normally, and
keep water in the bucket part. Bromeliads get most of their water
from within their leafy bucket, and not so much from their roots.

Thank you for your response. It might be a stupid question, but how do
I know if the offsprings have grown roots _before_ I tear them off the
mother plant?

Cornelius

You will be able to see the roots coming out of the base of them. The
pictures you posted didn't seem to have any on the larger growths yet.

Sean