Old 13-09-2007, 12:58 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Cornelius Drautz Cornelius Drautz is offline

Default Identification-request

"mel turner" wrote:

Hi Mel,

Thank you for your response.

This one has already flowered, so any future growth and flowering
will be on new leafy offshoots that will arise from the base or
rhizome of this plant.

So I did the right thing by cutting off the "yellow part"/flower
yesterday? :-)
There are several purple "branches" on the outside of the
centre-leaves (see at the bottom of
http://www.t47.rwth-aachen.de/corni/p3.jpg)), can i hope for a new
blossom/flower developing from one of those?

"Tank"-type bromeliads like this one are dependent on the water and
nutrients trapped among their leaf bases, and not so much on water
absorbed by the roots in the pot. In other words, you should water
and feed it in the center of the little "vase" of leaves, and there
should always be some water in there. In nature, these are epiphytes
that have roots mainly for holding on to tree branches, and absorb
water and nutrients from the large amounts of water trapped by their
leaves.

Ah, good to know! As you might have noticed, I haven't got any
experience with grwoing plants yet and my botany vocabulary isn't too
big, either.
In general: As long, as the leaves are green, the plant is still alive
and doing fine?

Greetings,

Cornelius