Old 13-09-2007, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adder1969 adder1969 is offline

Default Rose bush

On Sep 13, 9:20 am, echinosum
wrote:
4x4v6;747408 Wrote: "Gill Matthews" Try the I have a rose bush in full
flight.
I would like to re plant in the same place after the building work is
completed.
Thanks

I would try to strike a few cuttings as well as a back up plan.

I have moved some rose bushes, with mixed success, I think one out of
three survived. The problem with the other two is that they were very
deeply rooted, so I had to separate them from most of their roots just
to get them out of the ground. Plainly it is a good idea to cut it well
back so the reduced root ball has less to support.

Except a few species roses, the great majority are grafted onto a
rootstock. So if you want to propagate, then grafting rather than
taking a cutting is generally the technique you need. Personally I'd
just buy a new one. They establish very quickly and many good varieties
can be purchased for modest sums.

--
echinosum

I've moved lots of roses, and if anything they're all doing better now
than before. The last one I moved was in the middle of this
"summer". Mine at least, seem very hardy. Just dig it up and hope
for the best. Maybe prune it back if you can.