Old 12-09-2007, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rose bush

I have a rose bush in full flight.
Unfortunately due to sewer problems my garden will be dug up soon.
The rose bush has sentimental attachments and I want to save it from
destruction if at all possible.
can any one suggest the best way to do this as I would like to re plant in
the same place after the building work is completed.
Thanks

Old 13-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

I have moved some rose bushes, with mixed success, I think one out of three survived. The problem with the other two is that they were very deeply rooted, so I had to separate them from most of their roots just to get them out of the ground. Plainly it is a good idea to cut it well back so the reduced root ball has less to support.

Except a few species roses, the great majority are grafted onto a rootstock. So if you want to propagate, then grafting rather than taking a cutting is generally the technique you need. Personally I'd just buy a new one. They establish very quickly and many good varieties can be purchased for modest sums.
Old 13-09-2007, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 13, 9:20 am, echinosum
wrote:
4x4v6;747408 Wrote: "Gill Matthews" Try the I have a rose bush in full
flight.
I would like to re plant in the same place after the building work is
completed.
Thanks

I would try to strike a few cuttings as well as a back up plan.

--
echinosum

I've moved lots of roses, and if anything they're all doing better now
than before. The last one I moved was in the middle of this
"summer". Mine at least, seem very hardy. Just dig it up and hope
for the best. Maybe prune it back if you can.

Old 14-09-2007, 02:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote in message
On Sep 13, 9:20 am, echinosum
wrote:
[...]

We've also moved some rose bushes and had no problems. One was an
obsolutley giant Fantin Latour and in the end I told my husband to just
swing on it back and forth to move it in the hole till he broke the really
deep roots. It finally gave way and we cut it back to about 4 ft high,
replanted it and it's doing well. A friend also gave me a large Celcile
Brunner that she had pulled out a couple of days before so I transported it
home, hacked it back and replanted it. Since then a huge tree fell on it
and squashed it and it took about 2 weeks to chainsaw the tree up and find
out what damage had been done. Lots of roughly broken branches etc but I
gave it a prune and a feed and it's now just sending out lots of lovely new
Spring growth.

Old 14-09-2007, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote in message
On Sep 13, 9:20 am, echinosum
wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for help
Saturday is the day so I will just do it and see what happens

Old 14-09-2007, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 14, 2:59 am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

gave it a prune and a feed and it's now just sending out lots of lovely new
Spring growth.- Hide quoted text -

Spring growth?