Old 13-09-2007, 10:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
P Max P Max is offline

Default Maribyrnong Orchid Show

DUNO probably supplies Santa Barbara as well.
I found some photos of some great cultivars Kathy. See link below. Note
curvicaule "Daylight Moon" has an FCC award. I prefer the colour of
curvecaule "Misty Mountain" and grandiflorum "William", though. Also note
that the grandi's have the bigger flowers - up to 4 inches on some
cultivars, I believe.

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...%3Den%26sa%3DG
--
)
"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I've noted the cultivars! Thanks! Santa Barbara Orchid Estate had some
for sale at the last sale, but I didn't notice the species much les the
cultivars becasue I just wasn't in the market for them, but now I'm
thinking about it! I should look at their site and see what they offer.
DUNO had some too, but I think he only comes here a couple of times a
year.

K Barrett
"P Max" wrote in message
There were two active masd. hybridisers in Vic. (now one) Kathy. Both
used M. yungasensis a lot to create the striped mazzies!
If buying thelychitons, I'd stick to those bred from the renowned
cultivars. Some of the thelys can be rank compared with the pedegree bred
ones. Anything with "Daylight Moon"; "Windermere" "Mt Larcom Gold" and
certain others should be good. Other factors to consider inc: The big
yellow grandiflorum forms are magnificent, but may take 20 years to
bloom; For a quicker grower - to blooming size, either curvicaule type or
pendunculatum, takes half the time or less to bloom - I'm not sure which
one it is. Dave or John may know?

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I'm continually amazed at the differences between the orchid types they
have in Australia vs what we have here in the US. They have Australian
natives, dends and cymbidiums. We have those plus just about everything
else. But the types of 'other' orchids, for example their masdevallias,
are different from the masds we have here, too. Sure Peter shows some
Falcatas, but beyond those, their tables usually show stripes and spots
that we don't have here. You'd think there'd be trade routes between us
and them, since we do import from Thailand and SE Asia, but not a lot
from Aus/NZ. Weird.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
What a show, Peter. Eye candy, for sure.

Diana