Old 13-09-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Beetle ID

On 13 Sep, 14:04, "Wally" wrote:
I would have said more round than shield shape, I could be wrong.
If it was a Shield bug, are they a bad thing to have on peas??

There's lots of varieties of shield green bugs, green bugs, flat green
bugs, some have the same shape but also comes in green or yellow
(however I can't find one with pinchers at the front - are you close
to the sea?!). Apparently shield bugs do not cause major damage to
plants - they lay their eggs under the leaves and control is not
necessary. I'm however a bit confused - I'm wondering if this is the
same as the stink bug!? The stink bug suck the sap of plants but there
again it is not a major cause for alarm.

I remember stink bugs in my childhood - their name (in French) were
used as a 'swearing' word, an expression of annoyance:- 'punnaise' )