Old 03-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Starting seeds now??

stan said:

I have procrastinated to the point where I think I might be a bit late.
I want to know if you (the collective you) think it too late to plant
tomato and pepper seeds indoors? Or should I pass and just buy the
plants in the spring. I have everything, I just need to sow them. It is
a bit of a hassle for me to keep the plants/seedlings watered and
lighted or I wouldn't care. Zone 5 N.Illinois. Thanks much. Stan

No, It's not too late -- I'm starting mine this weekend, as planned.
(April 6/7 -ish is what I schedule for seed starting.)

By 'everything' I hope you also mean some source of bottom heat;
it ensures rapid germination. (I don't loose time waiting for the seeds
to sprout.)

I'd rather start them a little later than have them get too tall and lanky
indoors. The tomatoes go out first, and the peppers (and eggplants)
stay under the lights for a while longer, until the weather is really
settled and the nights consistantly warm -- the very end of May.

I usually get my first ripe tomatoes and usable peppers by the second
week of July. (I'm not trying to win any contests.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)