Old 03-04-2003, 05:56 AM
stan

Default Starting seeds now??

I have procrastinated to the point where I think I might be a bit late.
I want to know if you (the collective you) think it too late to plant
tomato and pepper seeds indoors? Or should I pass and just buy the
plants in the spring. I have everything, I just need to sow them. It is
a bit of a hassle for me to keep the plants/seedlings watered and
lighted or I wouldn't care. Zone 5 N.Illinois. Thanks much. Stan

Old 03-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

stan said:

I have procrastinated to the point where I think I might be a bit late.
I want to know if you (the collective you) think it too late to plant
tomato and pepper seeds indoors? Or should I pass and just buy the
plants in the spring. I have everything, I just need to sow them. It is
a bit of a hassle for me to keep the plants/seedlings watered and
lighted or I wouldn't care. Zone 5 N.Illinois. Thanks much. Stan

No, It's not too late -- I'm starting mine this weekend, as planned.
(April 6/7 -ish is what I schedule for seed starting.)

By 'everything' I hope you also mean some source of bottom heat;
it ensures rapid germination. (I don't loose time waiting for the seeds
to sprout.)

I'd rather start them a little later than have them get too tall and lanky
indoors. The tomatoes go out first, and the peppers (and eggplants)
stay under the lights for a while longer, until the weather is really
settled and the nights consistantly warm -- the very end of May.

I usually get my first ripe tomatoes and usable peppers by the second
week of July. (I'm not trying to win any contests.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Aaron Baugher

stan writes:

I have procrastinated to the point where I think I might be a bit
late. I want to know if you (the collective you) think it too late
to plant tomato and pepper seeds indoors?

No, I'm in central Illinois, and just started some this week. I'm
hoping to get the rest going this weekend.

Or should I pass and just buy the plants in the spring. I have
everything, I just need to sow them. It is a bit of a hassle for me
to keep the plants/seedlings watered and lighted or I wouldn't
care. Zone 5 N.Illinois. Thanks much. Stan

Whenever I buy plants, I seem to get some that don't match the name on
the marker. That's probably because I wait too long, and end up
getting ones that have been picked over and moved around too many
times.

--
Aaron

Old 03-04-2003, 08:20 PM
zxcvbob

stan wrote:

I have procrastinated to the point where I think I might be a bit late.
I want to know if you (the collective you) think it too late to plant
tomato and pepper seeds indoors? Or should I pass and just buy the
plants in the spring. I have everything, I just need to sow them. It is
a bit of a hassle for me to keep the plants/seedlings watered and
lighted or I wouldn't care. Zone 5 N.Illinois. Thanks much. Stan

No, you're not too late if you hurry. Put the seeds in wet paper towels in
a warm place for a few days, then plant them. I had tomato seeds germinate
in 3 days this way (I'm glad I checked them and saw the little roots) and
hot pepper seeds up in a week.

On top of the fluorescent light fixture near the ballast is a good place to
provide warmth.

Best regards,
Bob
--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join the
search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/
Old 03-04-2003, 08:20 PM

Pat Kiewicz writes:

Pat stan said:

I have procrastinated to the point where I think I might be a bit late.
I want to know if you (the collective you) think it too late to plant
tomato and pepper seeds indoors? Or should I pass and just buy the
plants in the spring. I have everything, I just need to sow them. It is
a bit of a hassle for me to keep the plants/seedlings watered and
lighted or I wouldn't care. Zone 5 N.Illinois. Thanks much. Stan

Pat No, It's not too late -- I'm starting mine this weekend, as planned.
Pat (April 6/7 -ish is what I schedule for seed starting.)

Pat By 'everything' I hope you also mean some source of bottom heat;
Pat it ensures rapid germination. (I don't loose time waiting for the seeds
Pat to sprout.)

Pat I'd rather start them a little later than have them get too tall and lanky
Pat indoors. The tomatoes go out first, and the peppers (and eggplants)
Pat stay under the lights for a while longer, until the weather is really
Pat settled and the nights consistantly warm -- the very end of May.

Pat I usually get my first ripe tomatoes and usable peppers by the second
Pat week of July. (I'm not trying to win any contests.)

I start much earlier, but start putting them outside in April,
to avoid the lankiness. I bring them in on the colder nights.

Boston Mass.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.gardens.edible...)

Old 04-04-2003, 03:20 AM
stan

Thanks!! I really appreciate the answers. I have had this stuff around for
weeks. But life kinda got in the way. Now I have to leave for three days.
So on Sunday the sowing will start. Thanks again
Stan Zone 5 N. IL