Old 15-09-2007, 03:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default Maribyrnong Orchid Show- Why?

Hi there Peter,
Many thanks for all this information, quite informative & love hearing from
you.
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Wendy
"P Max" wrote in message
Wendy,
While you didn't intend to illicit this response from me,
please be patient, read on and endure / suffer the enlightenment.
An Aussy named David Jones B.Ag.Sc., Dip.Hort. had a bit to do
with the genus change of a swathe of Oz orchids. Probably long overdue at
that! Even to this rank amateur, a dockrillia is clearly different to
other dendrobiums, as are the thelychitons. In his relatively new and
comprehensive book "A Complete Guide to Native Orchids of Australia", he
write on page 15 -
"Name Changes: ... are the inevitable result of detailed taxonomic studies
carried out by botanists. Such changes can be frustrating to amateurs who
often have difficulty keeping abreast of the latest names. Recent detailed
molecular studies have become a powerful method for revealing hidden
aspects of the genetic make up of orchids and casting light on ancestral
relationships that are not easily determined by morphological techniques.
These lab techniques are a relatively modern innovation but they are being
taken up rapidly by botanical students in many countries, resulting in
name changes worldwide. Studies of this type provide an extra set of
powerful; data which often compelling support for reclassification and
name changes. Such studies have resulted in a new classification of
Australian orchidacea, the results or which are used in this book." (David
Jones)

So there you have the rationale used to justify the changes! But I agree
with him when he says that "such changes can be frustrating..." But
tighten your belt, as this might just be the start of a great many other
changes to come on the world arena of orchid species.

Incidentally, could the temptation to go down in history be another
motivation to change orchid names. I refer to "Davejonesia lichenastrum
and prenticei" pg 385; The "Jonesiopsis" genus from select caladenia /
arachnorchis species Pgs 100 to 117. Opportunistic? Conventional?
egotistical? Draw your own conclusion. Good luck Dave J. You did the hard
work and got in first, as did all the other orcid botanists with genus
names that precede you.

Cheers,
Peter

--
)
"Wendy7" wrote in message
Thanks for bringing this to my attention Kathy & Peter,
I would love to vent here about this name changing, clumping, splitting
etc.,
I just want to say that my huge Dendrobium speciosum will always be known
to me
as just that.!
Now they are changin the genus & to make it more confusing it is
speciosus???? (See J. Pfahl's)
I feel sorry for anyone with a lazy tongue saying. . . . .Thelychiton
speciosums
http://www.orchidspecies.com/indextuvwxyz.htm#secE
My question is why?
Cheers Wendy