Old 16-09-2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
John M. Gamble John M. Gamble is offline

Default Is it just me?

In article ,
Winsford wrote:

Roses have not had a good time of it this year in my garden after the
torrential rain which has affected so many gardens this summer. Only
now am I getting some decent blooms from R. 'Korresia', R. 'Just Joey'
and R. 'Crimson Cascade' for example.

Both R. 'William Shakespeare' and R. 'Pat Austin' have been a disaster
throughout, and quite frankly I'm inclined to dig mine up and chuck 'em
away! They do appear very weak and unable to hold up their heads on
their spindly stems even. This has happened over several years and my
patience with these two is just about exhausted. Conversely, 'Just
Joey' which is almost identical to 'Pat Austin' in colour and form is a
much more robust plant of similar age.

It depends upon where you live, of course. The torrential rains
in the north side of Chicago (where I am) revived my rose nicely
after the dry month before. New blooms and everything.

Of course, I have a Griffith Buck rose (my first and only one
so far), which was bred to be tough.

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.