Old 18-09-2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Absolute Beginner: Growing Own veg

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
DarrenH wrote:

Hello all

Moved into a new house with a good garden and a dream of growing my own
veg. I'm starting small and working up!

I have dug out a small plot and given it a generous covering of
compost.

Then i went off down to the garden centre to get my seeds and found
that this is the worst time of year to plant anything!

Can any one help me - what can i plant now from seed? or can i buy
sowed seeds from somewhere?

Thanks

Darren

It's not the worst time of year to plant if you want to grow winter
veggies. :-)

Broccoli, Cauliflower, Chard, Cabbage...

some cold tolerant lettuces fi started soon, spring onions, cold tolerant
peas if started now. I got all of those plus broccoli plus bok choy and
endives on the go before winter.

rob

Oh, and isn't garlic a fall planted crop also?
I've got a bunch in the 'frige that have 4" long sprouts on them.
(Garlic that did not get eaten in time).

I'll probably break the cloves apart and stick those in the ground here
shortly. g
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.