Old 17-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Registered User

Default Absolute Beginner: Growing Own veg

Hello all

Moved into a new house with a good garden and a dream of growing my own veg. I'm starting small and working up!

I have dug out a small plot and given it a generous covering of compost.

Then i went off down to the garden centre to get my seeds and found that this is the worst time of year to plant anything!

Can any one help me - what can i plant now from seed? or can i buy sowed seeds from somewhere?

Thanks

Darren
Old 17-09-2007, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
DarrenH wrote:

Hello all

Moved into a new house with a good garden and a dream of growing my own
veg. I'm starting small and working up!

I have dug out a small plot and given it a generous covering of
compost.

Then i went off down to the garden centre to get my seeds and found
that this is the worst time of year to plant anything!

Can any one help me - what can i plant now from seed? or can i buy
sowed seeds from somewhere?

Thanks

Darren

It's not the worst time of year to plant if you want to grow winter
veggies. :-)

Broccoli, Cauliflower, Chard, Cabbage...

Any of the Cruciferous veggies.

Greens.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 17-09-2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

g'day darren,

we welcome you to visit our site and see how we do our gardens very
easy works great.

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:38:17 +0100, DarrenH
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 18-09-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DarrenH" wrote in message
news

Hello all

Moved into a new house with a good garden and a dream of growing my own
veg. I'm starting small and working up!

I have dug out a small plot and given it a generous covering of
compost.

Then i went off down to the garden centre to get my seeds and found
that this is the worst time of year to plant anything!

Can any one help me - what can i plant now from seed? or can i buy
sowed seeds from somewhere?

Thanks

Darren

Well since you don't say where you are it is hard to be specific. Assuming
that you are northern hemisphere and heading into autumn now you should be
looking at cool season veges, even that will depend on how cold your winter
is likely to be.

Instead of me waffling on from the other side of the world here are some
ways to get good information.

1) Find a local garden centre or nursery, not a market that happens to have
plants, who know what they are doing (sometimes easier said than done) and
ask them. It sounds like the one you went to isn't much good. They should
also be able to supply you with seedlings which will give you a head start
over seeds.

2) Find a book that covers the sort of things you want to grow and is aimed
at your climate. Advice for the wrong hemisphere or a region much hotter or
colder than you will be very confusing or just plain wrong. Ask people in
(1) or (3) for advice on what book.

3) Join a local garden club or organic growers club and ask the same sort of
questions.

When you have specific issues ask here (and describe your situation more)
and I am sure somebody will help.

David

Old 18-09-2007, 09:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
DarrenH wrote:

Hello all

Moved into a new house with a good garden and a dream of growing my own
veg. I'm starting small and working up!

I have dug out a small plot and given it a generous covering of
compost.

Then i went off down to the garden centre to get my seeds and found
that this is the worst time of year to plant anything!

Can any one help me - what can i plant now from seed? or can i buy
sowed seeds from somewhere?

Thanks

Darren

It's not the worst time of year to plant if you want to grow winter
veggies. :-)

Broccoli, Cauliflower, Chard, Cabbage...

some cold tolerant lettuces fi started soon, spring onions, cold tolerant
peas if started now. I got all of those plus broccoli plus bok choy and
endives on the go before winter.

rob

Old 18-09-2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
DarrenH wrote:

[...]

Oh, and isn't garlic a fall planted crop also?
I've got a bunch in the 'frige that have 4" long sprouts on them.
(Garlic that did not get eaten in time).

I'll probably break the cloves apart and stick those in the ground here
shortly. g
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 18-09-2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Oh, and isn't garlic a fall planted crop also?

Yup, plant in the fall and harvest late spring to early summer.

Fall (especially early fall) is also a good time to put in perennials
like rhubarb and blueberries/bilberries/lingonberries/etc (acidic soil
required for the latter group).
Old 19-09-2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 18, 9:06 am, Jim Kingdon wrote:
Oh, and isn't garlic a fall planted crop also?

Yup, plant in the fall and harvest late spring to early summer.

Fall (especially early fall) is also a good time to put in perennials
like rhubarb and blueberries/bilberries/lingonberries/etc (acidic soil
required for the latter group).

You can grow sprouts indoors and year round.

Fall is a good time to plant fruit trees if available.

Old 20-09-2007, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"George.com" wrote

"Omelet" wrote

It's not the worst time of year to plant if you want to grow winter
veggies. :-)

Broccoli, Cauliflower, Chard, Cabbage...

some cold tolerant lettuces fi started soon, spring onions, cold tolerant
peas if started now. I got all of those plus broccoli plus bok choy and
endives on the go before winter.

Some of the best spinach I ever ate was planted this time of the year.
Wintered right through. Thought I'd try to duplicate the experience and
recently planted a few short rows.

Old 22-09-2007, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DarrenH wrote in
news

Hello all

Moved into a new house with a good garden and a dream of growing my own
veg. I'm starting small and working up!

I have dug out a small plot and given it a generous covering of
compost.

Then i went off down to the garden centre to get my seeds and found
that this is the worst time of year to plant anything!

Can any one help me - what can i plant now from seed? or can i buy
sowed seeds from somewhere?

Just where are you, the recommendation for Portland, ME may be different
than that Yuma, Az.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Old 03-10-2007, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 17, 8:38 am, DarrenH
wrote:
Hello all

Moved into a new house with a good garden and a dream of growing my own
veg. I'm starting small and working up!

I have dug out a small plot and given it a generous covering of
compost.

Then i went off down to the garden centre to get my seeds and found
that this is the worst time of year to plant anything!

It's the best time to plant lettuce if you have a cold frame.
Anything short of a hard freeze won't hurt it. The bugs,
however, are history with the first frost.

Can any one help me - what can i plant now from seed? or can i buy
sowed seeds from somewhere?

Garden centers around here are selling xmas decorations. No
seeds, unless I've saved some.

Have I killed my asparagus? (Absolute beginner question) Fuseki Edible Gardening 4 11-02-2011 03:23 AM
Growing your own veg etc R D S[_2_] United Kingdom 9 15-09-2008 09:02 PM
Absolute fastest Growing hedge plant for tall privacy screen???? joe Gardening 8 01-03-2006 05:22 PM
Absolute beginer Peter C Bonsai 4 01-09-2004 10:10 AM
Absolute rank never-done-nothing beginner. Help! Rev. J. Toad Gardening 8 25-03-2003 05:56 PM