Old 18-09-2007, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve Wolstenholme Steve Wolstenholme is offline

Default how does oak react to cutting?

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 02:17:15 -0700, Compo
wrote:

On 18 Sep, 07:07, Dave Poole wrote:
Duncan, both sessile and pedunculate oak are relatively common
constituents of old hedgerows and easily adapt the extreme trimming
applied by farmers. |snip\

There was a TV programme about an ancient oak tree about a year ago.
It showed the life of such a tree over a period of about 1,000yrs. It
seems that oak can sit comfortably in the hedgerow for hundreds of
years, awaiting their chance to grow to mature height as soon as the
hedgerow is removed.

There have been two oak trees growing in a bowl in my garden. It's
were a neighbours kid planted some acorns about ten years ago. They
look very healthy. I dare not plant them in the ground, there's not
enough space for even two small trees.

Steve

--
Stephen Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com