Old 03-04-2003, 03:44 PM
eagle

Default [IBC] Alternative for lime sulphor

This question came up at our club meeting. One of the members said that one
of the Bonsai experts told him to use
Minwax wood hardener. It will not hurt any live tissue and it will preserve
the dead wood that could decay. I would try this
first on a plant that I do not care about as a test as I have not used it.

The lime sulfur is a whitener and will kill the roots so be careful with it.

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
I am not able to find lime sulphor in
the stores in Croatia. Is there any
alternative for it?

I have some deadwood that I want to
preserve.

Lime sulfur has VERY little long-term preservative power. It
probably helps keep mold or mildew off the bare wood for a while,
but has little (maybe no) effect on the organisms that cause wood
to rot. Lime sulfur is used primarily to turn dead wood white.

You need to use a wood preservative of some sort -- the kind that
is used to protect wooden porches, etc. from rotting. I have no
idea, of course, what that would be sold as in Croatia. Once
that is done, a coating of lime sulfur will give you that white
look -- if that's what you want.

David Thoreau - Walden

****

****