Old 03-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Alternative for lime sulphor

In a message dated 4/3/2003 6:10:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I am not able to find lime sulfur in
the stores in Croatia. Is there any
alternative for it?

I have some deadwood that I want to
preserve.

There are a couple of things you could do depending upon the look you want.
1. There are wood preservatives, usually a clear liquid with
an oil base, that can be adsorbed by the wood. The downside to these is that
they usually darken the wood.
2. There are epoxy based wood sealers where two ingredients
are mixed together and then must be used in a narrow time frame before the
mix hardens. These are frequently used on boats. These will also darken the
wood.
3. You could get some white paint and thin it some. It would
look kinda like LS but wouldn't last as long. If the paint is water or
acrylic based you would want it as thin as possible (experiment). This would
leave a coat of paint on the wood that could flake off, but when it does you
could scrape and repaint.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Craig Cowing

Zvonimir wrote:

I am not able to find lime sulphor in
the stores in Croatia. Is there any
alternative for it?

I have some deadwood that I want to
preserve.

Thanks

Zvonimir

It might be sold as "dormant oil." That's what it is often sold as here.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Marco Favero

At 12.38 03/04/2003 +0200, Zvonimir wrote:
I am not able to find lime sulphor in
the stores in Croatia. Is there any
alternative for it?

I have some deadwood that I want to
preserve.

Thanks

Zvonimir

Zvonimir ,

you can use even a mixt of alcohol 90° + propolis ( bee-glue) fifty-fifty .
It works nice .

lingbi

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Jim Lewis

I am not able to find lime sulphor in
the stores in Croatia. Is there any
alternative for it?

I have some deadwood that I want to
preserve.

Lime sulfur has VERY little long-term preservative power. It
probably helps keep mold or mildew off the bare wood for a while,
but has little (maybe no) effect on the organisms that cause wood
to rot. Lime sulfur is used primarily to turn dead wood white.

You need to use a wood preservative of some sort -- the kind that
is used to protect wooden porches, etc. from rotting. I have no
idea, of course, what that would be sold as in Croatia. Once
that is done, a coating of lime sulfur will give you that white
look -- if that's what you want.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 03-04-2003, 03:44 PM
eagle

This question came up at our club meeting. One of the members said that one
of the Bonsai experts told him to use
Minwax wood hardener. It will not hurt any live tissue and it will preserve
the dead wood that could decay. I would try this
first on a plant that I do not care about as a test as I have not used it.

The lime sulfur is a whitener and will kill the roots so be careful with it.

****

****

Old 03-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Jim

At 12:38 PM 4/3/2003 +0200, Zvonimir wrote:
I am not able to find lime sulphor in
the stores in Croatia. Is there any
alternative for it?

I have some deadwood that I want to
preserve.

Zvonimir, you might try Chlorox bleach.

Jim Harwood
Zone 7b, Hot Springs, AR

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Alan Walker

Incorrect, Craig. Dormant oil is another product with a different purpose.
Dormant oil is a horticultural product used to smother pests. Lime sulfur is an
antifungal agent used to prevent or reduce the action of fungal agents which promote
decay. A side effect of using lime sulfur is that it bleaches the wood.
Choosing a substitute will vary depending on the purpose you hoped to
accomplish by applying lime sulfur. If it is bleaching you want, then you need to
look for a bleaching agent. If it is rot protection, then one will probably choose
a different product.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
Craig Cowing wrote:
I am not able to find lime sulphor in the stores in Croatia. Is there any
==========

Old 03-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Craig Cowing

Alan Walker wrote:

Incorrect, Craig. Dormant oil is another product with a different purpose.
Dormant oil is a horticultural product used to smother pests. Lime sulfur is an
antifungal agent used to prevent or reduce the action of fungal agents which promote
decay. A side effect of using lime sulfur is that it bleaches the wood.
Choosing a substitute will vary depending on the purpose you hoped to
accomplish by applying lime sulfur. If it is bleaching you want, then you need to
look for a bleaching agent. If it is rot protection, then one will probably choose
a different product.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA

Oops. I thought mine was labelled dormant oil. Oh well.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Doesn't this release lethal hydrogen sulphide gas?

I suspect that why you do it outdoors and don't breathe the
fumes.

Do-it-yourself lime sulfur is NOT a task for the faint-of-heart.
_I_ would recommend against it. Lime sulfur is one of the oldest
of fungicide/pesticide concoctions. It will be available
everywhere, but you just will need to know what to ask for.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:08 PM
John Jones

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message

Doesn't this release lethal hydrogen sulphide gas?

I suspect that why you do it outdoors and don't breathe the
fumes.

True, but hydrogen sulphide (HS) is about as toxic as hydrogen
cyanide(HCN). It has a peculiar property in that if you can
smell it (rotten-egg odor), then it's in too low a concentration
to kill you. At toxic levels, it kills your nasal censors, so
you don't smell anything.

At the risk of being pedantic, I considered posting instructions
for making lime sulphur, but I considered it too great a risk to
recommend.

Do-it-yourself lime sulfur is NOT a task for the

faint-of-heart.
_I_ would recommend against it. Lime sulfur is one of the

oldest
of fungicide/pesticide concoctions. It will be available
everywhere, but you just will need to know what to ask for.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Our life

is
David Thoreau - Walden

***************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Evergreen

Gardenworks++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

A Bit Of Clarification Requested Re Using Lime For Lawn Grass Problem,Please. And, Re Lime Usage Bob Gardening 8 01-05-2010 07:07 PM
the native lime (finger lime) John Savage Australia 3 02-04-2004 03:43 AM
the native lime (finger lime) John Savage Australia 0 10-03-2004 04:14 AM
lime alternative SBHCOM Gardening 5 10-05-2003 08:32 PM
Alternative for lime sulphor Zvonimir Bonsai 2 04-04-2003 05:32 PM