Old 18-09-2007, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Invasive elder trees?

"K" wrote in message
Mary Fisher writes

I doubt it - not only are your points valid, they're very common.

We've taken them down, there was a forest of them in our garden once. I'm
still cutting down seedlings.

There is the point that we're just outside a conservation area, if we were
across the street we'd have to have permission to cut any tree down.

Any tree over a certain size, surely? My mother used to grow a deodar
cedar until just before it got to the critical size, then remove it and
replace it with a younger one. But that was 40 years ago and things may
have changed

I have several trees I would like to cut down but am only allowed to touch
those less than 75mm dia at 1mtr high. Anything bigger I have to apply for
planning permission, or wait for a storm ;-) That's the problem with being
in a conservation area. Not only that but the application requires a plan
showing every tree including its type, girth, height and spread. Trouble is
I counted 140 trees over the 75mm rule in our garden. That amounts to some
plan.

Mike