Old 19-09-2007, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cupra cupra is offline

Default Invasive elder trees?

Mary Fisher wrote:
"K" wrote in message
Mary Fisher writes

There is the point that we're just outside a conservation area, if
we were across the street we'd have to have permission to cut any
tree down.

Any tree over a certain size, surely?

I don't know. We've cut down a huge ash, a large white poplar, two
very tall Lombardy poplars and a rampant eucalyptus (all of which are
very unsuitable for a small garden) without asking for permission.
Perhaps this confession will put my head on the block :-)

Then there's the leylandi ... I don't want to cut that because it
provides shelter and dry Earth for dust baths for the hens and is
home to very many wild birds. An avian skyscraper apartment block!

lol - I know what you mean there, our next door neighbour's conifer is a
sparrow condo (I counted approx 20 of them on the lawn when I threw out some
bread recently!)