Old 19-09-2007, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Planting density - new herbaceous border

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Sep, 08:50, "Trevor"
wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of information on planting up an
herbaceous border? a.g. No plants per square metre? Its 20m x 1m approx.
Also any good websites on Herbaceous Border design??

Bonjour Trevor! I think you need me ... in about 10 months time ;o)
Emery gave you some good sites there. If you do this or think you're
going to do designs on a regular basis, I would advise on two books
that has given me lots of ideas (as well as visiting gardens etc.) is
the Garden Planning by John Brookes (my fav) and the Garden Design
Bible by Tim Newbury. Amongst others, if you're flushed you could add
the Ultimate Garden Designer by Tim Newbury.

What they all say about herbaceous borders is this: It is impossible
to be precise about planting distances for perennials. Some such as
globe artichokes gorw to about 1m across, while others hardly spread
at all. As a general guideline to how many of each plant you need in a
border, calculate five to every square meter/yard. Make your selection
by shape as well as colour.

Are you in France now?!

Hi Helene and thanks Emrys

Yes this is for a client, but I don't envisage doing it on a regular basis.
A friend who has recovered from 2 severe bouts of ME that took 8 yrs out of
his life is taking things easy with a bit of part time gardening work, but
isn't too knowledgeable on plants, so I help him out.

Our border is 22m x 1m so a little narrow for herbaceous, but we are
restricted by a wall and an old stone path. She wants Lupins, Delphiniums,
June/July colour and mixed colours, and is happy for me to extend the autumn
colour with helenium, rudbeckia and Echinacea, also some grasses.

We spent August in France and I'm going back on my own in October and again
in November then 2 weeks with the family as Christmas so I'm managing around
10/11 weeks per years.

best wishes

Trevor