Old 21-09-2007, 07:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike Mike is offline

Default Plant Nutrition and Soil

Thanks for the info.

I have existing plants that I want to ensure they have the best soil. I
also want to bring some indoors and want to know what mix would be good and
then adjust as needed. I've also had problems with feedings in the past.
Garden shops sold me plant food and told me how much to put and I killed
half of them.

What did you mean by "Co-op" for soil testing? Is there any type of kit
that allows one to do it themselves?

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Mike said:

Hi,

I'm trying to find info on seeing what plants need what soil nutrition
and
how to test the soil. Any ideas?

Are you looking for information on the requirements of existing plantings?
Or, are you looking for ideas for future plantings, based on existing soil
conditions?

Information for existing plantings is easy. One of (if not *the*) largest
online plant databases can be found at http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/ .
Each entry will list the requirements for that species. Without becoming a
member (small annual fee), you're daily searches are limited to only a
few,
IIRC. They also have a plant identification forum that usually gives
results within hours, if not minutes, if you're unsure of the needs of an
unidentified plant in your landscape. All you'd need is a pic to upload.

As for testing the soil, contact your local co-op.

--

Eggs

-Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he
will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.