Old 20-09-2007, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Plant Nutrition and Soil

Hi,

I'm trying to find info on seeing what plants need what soil nutrition and
how to test the soil. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 20-09-2007, 10:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Mike said:

Hi,

I'm trying to find info on seeing what plants need what soil nutrition and
how to test the soil. Any ideas?

Are you looking for information on the requirements of existing plantings?
Or, are you looking for ideas for future plantings, based on existing soil
conditions?

Information for existing plantings is easy. One of (if not *the*) largest
online plant databases can be found at http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/ .
Each entry will list the requirements for that species. Without becoming a
member (small annual fee), you're daily searches are limited to only a few,
IIRC. They also have a plant identification forum that usually gives
results within hours, if not minutes, if you're unsure of the needs of an
unidentified plant in your landscape. All you'd need is a pic to upload.

As for testing the soil, contact your local co-op.

--

Eggs

-Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he
will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
Old 21-09-2007, 07:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thanks for the info.

I have existing plants that I want to ensure they have the best soil. I
also want to bring some indoors and want to know what mix would be good and
then adjust as needed. I've also had problems with feedings in the past.
Garden shops sold me plant food and told me how much to put and I killed
half of them.

What did you mean by "Co-op" for soil testing? Is there any type of kit
that allows one to do it themselves?

Old 22-09-2007, 12:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[Top-posting fixed]

Mike said:

[...]

Ok. For that, then, the link I gave you will provide the information you
seek.

I also want to bring some indoors

Do you mean dig them out of the ground and put them in pots? Or, do you
mean that you have potted plants that you want to over-winter in your
house?

and want to know what mix would be good and then adjust as needed.

If you're digging them up, then you should know that garden soil makes a
very poor container soil. It's much too heavy, and drains poorly.

I've also had problems with feedings in the past. Garden shops sold me
plant food and told me how much to put and I killed half of them.

What makes you sure it was the feeding that killed them?

What did you mean by "Co-op" for soil testing?

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

Is there any type of kit that allows one to do it themselves?

Yes, but they're far less accurate, and give far less information.

--

Eggs

The speed of time is one second per second.

plant nutrition [email protected] Orchids 1 08-04-2005 10:36 PM
Primer on Plant Nutrition Ray Orchids 0 14-08-2004 03:19 PM
Primer on Plant Nutrition Ray Orchids 0 14-08-2004 03:19 PM
Nutritional Immunology: Proper Nutrition can Prevent Diseases and Cure KO Plant Biology 0 24-04-2004 04:05 PM
Science, ag joining hands - Researcher gets to the very roots of plant nutrition Aozotorp sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:28 PM