Old 22-09-2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
McGerm McGerm is offline

Default organic, non-organic and taste...

If I boil this down this discussion is about:

1. Does organic food taste better than conventional?
2. Do some organic foods have an 'overly earthy' flavor and can you
taste pesticides or off flavor in conventional foods?

1. Scientifically in controlled blind taste tastes of foods of the
same variety, from the same locality, and of the same storage life ...No
difference in taste. -BUT- In marketing studies by various organic
organizations and food companies, consumers say overwhelming that
organic foods taste better. This difference has been ascribed to
being part real and part perceived. The REAL component is that in the
store the organic produce tends to be more local and fresher at the in
season times of the year. The PERCEIVED component is that since it
costs more it must be of better quality all of the time.

2. Tougher one to answer, but it probably comes down to some people
being super tasters, 1000 taste buds per square centimeter, and
everyone else having about 40-200 taste buds per square centimeter.
Most chefs tend to be super tasters, the professional panels at food
companies are all certified super tasters, and if you cannot stomach
the taste of salty, fatty, and sugary foods or if broccoli is
nauseatingly bitter to you ... you may be a super taster.

Me, I love the taste of broccoli and do not know how anyone could call
it bitter. For me I would say it has a sweet green flavor like canned
peas or cooked spinach. I guess that means that I am probably a non-
taster with only 40 taste buds per square centimeter.