Old 22-09-2007, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
BruceM BruceM is offline

Default What is this problem?

That is a possibility. They are located on a wire shelf about 3-4 feet
above the kitchen sink. They also get watered in that same sink. On of us
could have cleaned the counters wth a spray while they were being watered.

Seems to be only the older leafs that are affected. I wasn't sure about
chemicals as they are surrounded by african violets that are doing great.
However if the damaged occured while they were off the shelf.....

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
Bruce,

That could be a bacterial result or chemical. Have you sprayed them with
anything?

Could someone have been cleaning and oversprayed and the chemical burned
the leaf surface? Is it on all the leaves or just the older/newer ones?

Last winter I cleaned the floor in my greenhouse with a power washer.
Some Phals were on the bottom shelf and the overspray of just water got on
the leaves. I didn't think anything about it since it was only water. A
couple of months later I had a bacterial marks all over the leaves. They
are outgrowing it now and the new leaves are just fine. The old leaves
look like crap and in another year they will be gone and I can show the
plants again.

Good growing,
Gene

"BruceM" wrote in message
Dendrobium, west facing window, 1 " faux blinds cracked about 1.5 inches
open. Plant about 6 inces from blind

Has that brown / red sand look like a spider mite infestation, but high
power magnification shows no mites, and it does not run or rinse off.
Close viewing looks like pitting of the leaves

http://home.tx.rr.com/lec/1.jpg
http://home.tx.rr.com/lec/2.jpg