Old 22-09-2007, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default What is this problem?

Dendrobium, west facing window, 1 " faux blinds cracked about 1.5 inches
open. Plant about 6 inces from blind

Has that brown / red sand look like a spider mite infestation, but high
power magnification shows no mites, and it does not run or rinse off. Close
viewing looks like pitting of the leaves

http://home.tx.rr.com/lec/1.jpg
http://home.tx.rr.com/lec/2.jpg

Old 22-09-2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bruce,

That could be a bacterial result or chemical. Have you sprayed them with
anything?

Could someone have been cleaning and oversprayed and the chemical burned the
leaf surface? Is it on all the leaves or just the older/newer ones?

Last winter I cleaned the floor in my greenhouse with a power washer. Some
Phals were on the bottom shelf and the overspray of just water got on the
leaves. I didn't think anything about it since it was only water. A couple
of months later I had a bacterial marks all over the leaves. They are
outgrowing it now and the new leaves are just fine. The old leaves look
like crap and in another year they will be gone and I can show the plants
again.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 22-09-2007, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

That is a possibility. They are located on a wire shelf about 3-4 feet
above the kitchen sink. They also get watered in that same sink. On of us
could have cleaned the counters wth a spray while they were being watered.

Seems to be only the older leafs that are affected. I wasn't sure about
chemicals as they are surrounded by african violets that are doing great.
However if the damaged occured while they were off the shelf.....

Old 22-09-2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Generally" if it only affects the older leaves and new leaves seem to be
normal then I don't get too upset about it (other than the plant looks like
crap for a while). Keep and eye on the new leaves and if you continue to
see the stuff creep up the stem then you have to find the problem.

Gene

Old 24-09-2007, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Now that I am thinking about it, I see several ways I could have gotten
chemicals on it. Just sprinkling Comet in the sink sends a fine cloud of
chemical dust in the air.

Old 24-09-2007, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"BruceM" wrote in message
Now that I am thinking about it, I see several ways I could have gotten
chemicals on it. Just sprinkling Comet in the sink sends a fine cloud of
chemical dust in the air.

Use the liquid sink cleaners. The dust from some cleaners is TOXIC and
contains carcinogens. I no longer use comet in my sinks. I use liquid
"Soft Scrub" gel.

Old 25-09-2007, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Guess what my wife bought this week?

Being the guy I just automatically reached for the powder though, until I
saw the dust drifting up to my orchids... Then I threw it away, only to
watch more dust drift up out of the trash can :=()

Old 25-09-2007, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

So what in Comet is toxic or a carcinogen?

There are very strict regulations on how chemicals are described on labels
and MSDS's, with various keywords and alerts, and the active ingredient is
listed as an "eye irritant".

My "indoor blooming plant display area" is the kitchen counter surrounding
the sink. We use Comet, and I have never seen any issues with any of the
plants.

Old 25-09-2007, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:47:35 GMT, Ray B wrote:
So what in Comet is toxic or a carcinogen?

HCL

Bob
Old 25-09-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"BruceM" wrote in message
Guess what my wife bought this week?

Being the guy I just automatically reached for the powder though, until I
saw the dust drifting up to my orchids... Then I threw it away, only to
watch more dust drift up out of the trash can :=()

I'm glad you "saw the light".... or in this case, the dust. )

Old 25-09-2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Ray B" wrote in message
So what in Comet is toxic or a carcinogen?

There are very strict regulations on how chemicals are described on labels
and MSDS's, with various keywords and alerts, and the active ingredient is
listed as an "eye irritant".

If it irritates the eyes try and imagine what it does to the lungs when you
breath it in. Chlorine, which I believe it still contains, is toxic.
Anthing that irritates the lungs is dangerous.

My "indoor blooming plant display area" is the kitchen counter surrounding
the sink. We use Comet, and I have never seen any issues with any of the
plants.

Plants aside, I don't want to breathe the dust from Comet or any other
chemicals if I can help it. Isn't there enough pollution and lung cancer
out there? I don't want to breathe more of it when gels and liquids are
available.

Old 26-09-2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I believe it was Steve who lost his entire Phal collection over a couple of
years. No resolution as to what it was.

I have recently dealt with phythium. Lucky me. Very nasty disease, but it
didn't look like what Bruce (or Steve, for that matter) pictured.

Diana

"tenman" wrote in message
BruceM wrote:
Dendrobium, west facing window, 1 " faux blinds cracked about 1.5 inches
open. Plant about 6 inces from blind

Has that brown / red sand look like a spider mite infestation, but high
power magnification shows no mites, and it does not run or rinse off.
Close viewing looks like pitting of the leaves

http://home.tx.rr.com/lec/1.jpg
http://home.tx.rr.com/lec/2.jpg

There was a great deal of discussion at one time about this problem. I
don't believe it's from comet or anything else like it. It was called
'mocrofungus' by some, but neither pesticides nor fungicides worked on it.
Some guessed it was an as-yet unID'd virus. From all the postings I read
it seemd it was most often eventually fatal to the plants, but some said
they had plants eventually (2-4 years) grow out of it. There was some
speculation as to its contagiousness and most folks who had it on a plant
pitched the plant just in case.

I don't think there was ever a resolution to the issue, but it seemed to
affect a lot of collections.

Old 26-09-2007, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Couple of years ago I attempted to verbally describe this on my phal's. Was
after a long hot summer so I blamed it on sun damage. Didn't have a camera
to post photos, but it looked exactly like what you've posted. A few hardy
plant survived, but not many. Curious if it ever gets a name and cure. No
harmful chemicals were anywhere near my plants. Perhaps only good sign is
it didn't seem to spread to new plants (knock on wood).

. ..

Old 28-09-2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yeah, but he said the plant in question is a Dendrobium. My problem
spread to and killed every Phal but I have never had a Dendrobium look
anything like those pictures.
Since I'm replying, all also add my thought that I don't believe there
is a chance in the world that the pictured problem came from any
household cleaner. I could see something splashing on a leaf and causing
a few scattered spots but the leaves in the picture are affected wall to
wall.

Steve

Old 29-09-2007, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The comet was meant as a exaple of how this stuff can get in the air and
float around without realizing. I use Easy Off in a nearby oven, Greased
Lightning multipurpose (strong Sodium Hydroxide), 409, etc

You Never really notice these things until something like this is
mentioned...