Old 23-09-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
W. Watson W. Watson is offline

Default Deep Watering of Older Trees

I have a number of Deodoras (mostly Atlanticus) that we've had for 8-9
years. All were planted by a landscaper. They are mostly between 15-18' now.
Of all the trees I'm considering the topic of deep watering are about 20
(throw in 1 8' oak, 4-5 maple, douglas firs, 2 crabapples, 2 giant sequoias)
in total. The trees are scattered over about four acres with drip lines
going out from each line. Our watering system and water availability is such
that with the lines there's not much of a chance for regular deep watering.
We get lots of winter rain. *Probably" over the years, the trees of concern
have not gotten a lot of deep watering under these conditions. They all seem
sturdy at this point. No wind has taken any down. We are in the Sierra
foothills of Calif at 2700', and have very warm summers outside of Sacramento.

Does it make sense to now do deep watering? I just got kicked into action on
other property issues, and started giving this some serious thought. I
recently took a hose out to each tree and watered them deeply. I'll probably
do it again in early to mid-Oct. Is this worthwhile at this stage? I heard a
professional gardner mention that deep watering is usually required in the
early years of a tree's growth.
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net