Old 23-09-2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Deep Watering of Older Trees

Watson

There is no requirement of trees that you deep water. The non-woody
absorbing roots that absorb water with essential elements dissolved in it
are most of the time in the upper four inches of soil. The biggest problem
during drought is over watering.
here is an article on where absorbing takes place.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"W. Watson" wrote in message
.. .
I have a number of Deodoras (mostly Atlanticus) that we've had for 8-9
years. All were planted by a landscaper. They are mostly between 15-18'
now. Of all the trees I'm considering the topic of deep watering are about
20 (throw in 1 8' oak, 4-5 maple, douglas firs, 2 crabapples, 2 giant
sequoias) in total. The trees are scattered over about four acres with drip
lines going out from each line. Our watering system and water availability
is such that with the lines there's not much of a chance for regular deep
watering. We get lots of winter rain. *Probably" over the years, the trees
of concern have not gotten a lot of deep watering under these conditions.
They all seem sturdy at this point. No wind has taken any down. We are in
the Sierra foothills of Calif at 2700', and have very warm summers outside
of Sacramento.

Does it make sense to now do deep watering? I just got kicked into action
on other property issues, and started giving this some serious thought. I
recently took a hose out to each tree and watered them deeply. I'll
probably do it again in early to mid-Oct. Is this worthwhile at this
stage? I heard a professional gardner mention that deep watering is
usually required in the early years of a tree's growth.
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net