Old 23-09-2007, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

Default Sloes/damsons (slightly OT)

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
In article ,

says...

In article ,
"Sue" writes:

| Might damsons trees in a hedgerow have the odd thorn or two? This
morning we
| picked what we think are fruits -too -big to- be -sloes but there
were a few
| long thorns on some of the branches. I plan to jam them but if they
are
| sloes they may not yet be sweet enough so they may have to be
"ginned"
| instead!

Yes, but I am afraid that you are confused. They are likely to be
bullaces - the 'wild' damson (and ancestor of modern plums) - probably
introduced by the neolithic farmers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren

I wondered about bullace but isn't a bullace more of a greeny colour?
(outside I mean). I am just about to jam them now anyway.

Sue W.

Sue W.