Old 23-09-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sloes/damsons (slightly OT)

In article ,
Jennifer Sparkes writes:
| The message
| from "Sue" contains these words:
|
| I wondered about bullace but isn't a bullace more of a greeny colour?
| (outside I mean). I am just about to jam them now anyway.
|
| IIRC this came up this time last year and surprised me.
|
| If you look at Bullace in Google Images they show both colours ...

That would figure. Clapham, Tutin and Warberg says that they are usually
blue-black or purple - with the implication that they sometimes aren't.
As they are ancestral to all modern plums (including greengages etc.), it
isn't surprising if they have a similar range of colours.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-09-2007, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Jennifer Sparkes writes:
| The message
| from "Sue" contains these words:
|
| I wondered about bullace but isn't a bullace more of a greeny colour?
| (outside I mean). I am just about to jam them now anyway.
|
| IIRC this came up this time last year and surprised me.
|
| If you look at Bullace in Google Images they show both colours ...

That would figure. Clapham, Tutin and Warberg says that they are usually
blue-black or purple - with the implication that they sometimes aren't.
As they are ancestral to all modern plums (including greengages etc.), it
isn't surprising if they have a similar range of colours.

Ours are green for a long time - then suddenly turn purple - almost black.
Interestingly they do this even if they're picked while green. Sometimes
they drop off while green and I can't bear to throw them away, that's how I
know.

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.