Old 24-09-2007, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate kate is offline

Default cereal rye for winter cover crop?

engwar wrote:
I have poor clay soil and am interested in using cereal rye in my
veggie garden as a winter cover crop to improve it.

Has anyone tried this and what was your experience?

Also, where would one go to purchase cereal rye seeds for a relatively
small vegetable garden?

I'm in zone 6, by the way.

I'm in zone 6 (I think it's still 6) and have often used winter rye as a
cover crop. If the weather is good, it's really pretty to see that
bright green in the dead of winter. It comes back after tilling in the
spring, but dies with the summer heat.

Kate - Nashville TN