Old 23-09-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default cereal rye for winter cover crop?

I have poor clay soil and am interested in using cereal rye in my
veggie garden as a winter cover crop to improve it.

Has anyone tried this and what was your experience?

Also, where would one go to purchase cereal rye seeds for a relatively
small vegetable garden?

I'm in zone 6, by the way.

Old 23-09-2007, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:54:07 -0000, engwar wrote:

I have poor clay soil and am interested in using cereal rye in my
veggie garden as a winter cover crop to improve it.

Has anyone tried this and what was your experience?

Also, where would one go to purchase cereal rye seeds for a relatively
small vegetable garden?

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...search=rye&ite
m=968G

We used to call it winter Rye and local farm supply had it. They are
mostly gone now here. Johnny's is excellent a guy that loves garden
work. Hear he either turned the venture over to his employees or is
working on it.
Wish Walnut Acres was still about!

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 23-09-2007, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

engwar wrote:
I have poor clay soil and am interested in using cereal rye in my
veggie garden as a winter cover crop to improve it.

Has anyone tried this and what was your experience?

Also, where would one go to purchase cereal rye seeds for a relatively
small vegetable garden?

I'm in zone 6, by the way.

How small is your "relatively small" garden? It may be small enough so
as not to be worth the trouble of sowing and turning it.

But anyway, any garden or farm center should either have winter rye seed
or be able to direct you to someplace that does.

Old 24-09-2007, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

engwar wrote:
I have poor clay soil and am interested in using cereal rye in my
veggie garden as a winter cover crop to improve it.

Has anyone tried this and what was your experience?

Also, where would one go to purchase cereal rye seeds for a relatively
small vegetable garden?

I'm in zone 6, by the way.

I'm in zone 6 (I think it's still 6) and have often used winter rye as a
cover crop. If the weather is good, it's really pretty to see that
bright green in the dead of winter. It comes back after tilling in the
spring, but dies with the summer heat.

Kate - Nashville TN
Old 24-09-2007, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

I'm not familiar with Walnut Acres.

http://www.nofa.org/tnf/2006spring/T...es%20Story.pdf

We used to be able to have food deliveries sent to a local house and
pick it up to save on shipping. I seem to remember that about 1948 they
asked some guy over in India what they can do to make the world a better
place. He said good food. Same guy is credited with getting Britain
out of India.

Sad and wonderful PDF.

Bill who was born in 1948.

First product was Apple Butter !

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 25-09-2007, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

William Wagner expounded:

We used to call it winter Rye and local farm supply had it. They are
mostly gone now here. Johnny's is excellent a guy that loves garden
work. Hear he either turned the venture over to his employees or is
working on it.
Wish Walnut Acres was still about!

From the September Johnny's Update:

"Progress report

-- Employee ownership. October will mark our first anniversary
of employee ownership at Johnny's. October 2006 is when J's employees
bought 30.4% of J's stock from Janika and me, the "selling owners." A
chunk of that money was borrowed, and when that's paid back in the
summer of 2009, then employees will buy more. "
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

[IMG] code is On

cereal boxes Bill P United Kingdom 5 17-10-2014 08:09 AM
Winter rye cover crop [email protected] Gardening 6 05-09-2009 04:45 AM
To Rye or not to rye, this is the question Art Vega Texas 9 02-11-2004 03:26 PM
Changing over from Winter Rye Grass Vicky Lawns 1 09-05-2003 12:32 AM
Planting Winter Rye Grass Paul W. Campbell Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:57 PM