Old 24-09-2007, 03:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Irrigation vs rainfall

MLF wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote
I think I can predict it. The Atlantic farm raised salmon will be the
least tasty. Atlantic salmon, even wild, are less tasty than the PNW
ones.

You'll get a lot of argument on that. Most Salmon lovers I know insist
that
wild Atlantic salmon tastes much better than either farmed or Pacific
salmon. I'm not taking sides - I'm not that fond of Salmon in the first
place :-) Also, note that I live on the Atlantic coast, and there's a
fair possibility that the people I know have some bias!

Actually, I don't think there is any "wild" Atlantic salmon any more.
There never was very much, and I think that all of the so-called Atlantic
salmon now days is farmed. There is a fair amount of wild PNW salmon, but
as your survey found, it ain't cheap and it's only available are certain
times of the year.

There is no commercial, wild, Atlantic Salmon, but there are still some
salmon in the rivers and it's still possible to get a taste of it
occasionally. However, there are questions about how "wild" it can really
be, given the numbers of escapees we know there have been from farms.
--
derek