Old 21-09-2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default fall~is~here!

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 07:15:04 CST, "MLF" wrote:

Alternatively, Is there anyone reading this who has had good luck with
inexpensive lilies in the Gulf Coast region? What kind were they?

My hardy water lilies seem to respond to water temperature and hours
of sunlight and every type I've tried does well here. I believe they
would do well for you. I do have one that will grow in deeper water
and grows bigger, maybe a bit more tendency to climb out of the pot
than most of the others and I think it might have been dug from the
wild out of one of our local lakes. The others are Lowe's whatever
they have this year, mostly un-named varieties just different colors
and some have leaves that are more interesting. I really think we
have an edge on growing most plants being this far South and getting
more direct sunlight and heat.

They grow well when placed in a pot of garden soil with a couple time
released fertilizer spikes. However, I don't have much luck with
bare root growth. I've tried several, but those grow slowly and
seldom bloom in my pond.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 21-09-2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Irrigation vs rainfall

~ jan wrote:

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:21:48 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Well there are lots of sides to that story, any who do you believe
complexes.

I'm afraid I can't make any sense of that sentence.

Yea, neither can I. :-/ I'd put in a long day and shouldn't have been
typing.

I think I was trying to say, there are many scientific sides to this
complex story, and the lay person is left with "who do you believe"
questioning. IMHO. Wild salmon, farm salmon, in my personal opinion, darn
close to call. By any other name, is a salmon not a salmon? ;-) ~ jan

I agree, and I don't have a problem with the concept of salmon farming
itself - but there are just too darn few Atlantic Salmon left in the wild.
We're never going to let Salmon become extinct, because we _can_ farm them,
but we're letting many of the rivers die where they should be living.

(fwiw, no, your Pacific Salmon aren't _really_ Salmon! They're
Oncorhynchus, not Salmo :-) )
--
derek

Old 21-09-2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

k wrote:

Next step will be to do a taste test and see
if the family can tell any difference between
them and which one they prefer.

I look forward to the results!
--
derek

Old 22-09-2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

"k" wrote in
I checked the salmon at Albertson's today.
Atlantic Farm Salmon at $5.99 lb.
Wild Alaska Salmon at $8.99 lb.
Next step will be to do a taste test and see
if the family can tell any difference between
them and which one they prefer.

I think I can predict it. The Atlantic farm raised salmon will be the least
tasty. Atlantic salmon, even wild, are less tasty than the PNW ones. The
real sild salmon from the PNW are stupendous, and even the farm raised are
better than every other sort. If you family cannot tell the difference, then
feed them the cheaper stuff!

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 22-09-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

"Hal" wrote in
Alternatively, Is there anyone reading this who has had good luck with
inexpensive lilies in the Gulf Coast region? What kind were they?

I really think we
have an edge on growing most plants being this far South and getting
more direct sunlight and heat.

A friend of mine is a commercial horticulturalist that runs a very large
nursery here (she's got a half million pointettias growing now, and in a
month or two she'll have twice that many lilies). She says that best thing
about Louisiana is that anything will grow here. The worst thing about
Louisiana is that ANYTHING will grow here, whether you want it to or not.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 23-09-2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

MLF wrote:

"k" wrote in
I checked the salmon at Albertson's today.
Atlantic Farm Salmon at $5.99 lb.
Wild Alaska Salmon at $8.99 lb.
Next step will be to do a taste test and see
if the family can tell any difference between
them and which one they prefer.

I think I can predict it. The Atlantic farm raised salmon will be the
least tasty. Atlantic salmon, even wild, are less tasty than the PNW ones.

You'll get a lot of argument on that. Most Salmon lovers I know insist that
wild Atlantic salmon tastes much better than either farmed or Pacific
salmon. I'm not taking sides - I'm not that fond of Salmon in the first
place :-) Also, note that I live on the Atlantic coast, and there's a fair
possibility that the people I know have some bias!
--
derek

Old 23-09-2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:01:54 CST, "MLF" wrote:

She says that best thing
about Louisiana is that anything will grow here. The worst thing about
Louisiana is that ANYTHING will grow here, whether you want it to or not.

I've had that feeling about Georgia too, but because some things grow
so well they cover others and the others require so much attention to
keep them healthy that I try to find and keep the plant that takes
care of itself. Lilies are great for shade in the pond, but I
consider them a "0" for filtering since I fertilize the pots to get
good blooming performance. I tried a tropical lily one year and it
was large and beautiful and grew well during the growing season, but
too much trouble to over winter for me to want to keep them.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 23-09-2007, 06:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

"Derek Broughton" wrote
I think I can predict it. The Atlantic farm raised salmon will be the
least tasty. Atlantic salmon, even wild, are less tasty than the PNW
ones.

You'll get a lot of argument on that. Most Salmon lovers I know insist
that
wild Atlantic salmon tastes much better than either farmed or Pacific
salmon. I'm not taking sides - I'm not that fond of Salmon in the first
place :-) Also, note that I live on the Atlantic coast, and there's a
fair
possibility that the people I know have some bias!

Actually, I don't think there is any "wild" Atlantic salmon any more. There
never was very much, and I think that all of the so-called Atlantic salmon
now days is farmed. There is a fair amount of wild PNW salmon, but as your
survey found, it ain't cheap and it's only available are certain times of
the year.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 24-09-2007, 03:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

MLF wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote
[...]

There is no commercial, wild, Atlantic Salmon, but there are still some
salmon in the rivers and it's still possible to get a taste of it
occasionally. However, there are questions about how "wild" it can really
be, given the numbers of escapees we know there have been from farms.
--
derek

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

here here now, this poking at my daughter has to stop! Momma McKoi Ponds 0 15-05-2005 10:57 PM
Water fall & filter design, please comment. John Ponds 3 19-06-2003 03:08 PM
Fall tree-collecting ss Bonsai 0 19-03-2003 09:20 PM
fall suggestions Hannah Barnum North Carolina 4 28-02-2003 10:26 PM
seed in fall before spring crabgrass preventer? E Gardener Gardening 5 28-01-2003 12:14 AM