Old 24-09-2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
W. Watson W. Watson is offline

Default A Tree Has How Many Lives? Not 9 I Would Guess.

An irrigation line break caused a dawn redwood (9' tall) and a crabapple
(9') tall to lose their foliage in the heat of August (90F+) period. Intense
watering for two weeks brought almost all the foliage back on the crabapple,
and did a fairly good job on the dawn (meta sequoia). The dawn usually has
some trouble each August (we live 60 miles outside of Sacramento and August
has lots of 90F+ days). I generally spray it lightly for days during such a
tough stretch, and each year it comes back fine.

I was talking to a gardener about this and she offered that trees have
something like 1 main leaf and an auxiliary leaf, if the main dies the aux
takes over. Sometimes they have a few extra auxs. Does this translate into a
tree having two, maybe three lives if hit by a lack of water?

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net