Old 24-09-2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default A Tree Has How Many Lives? Not 9 I Would Guess.

An irrigation line break caused a dawn redwood (9' tall) and a crabapple
(9') tall to lose their foliage in the heat of August (90F+) period. Intense
watering for two weeks brought almost all the foliage back on the crabapple,
and did a fairly good job on the dawn (meta sequoia). The dawn usually has
some trouble each August (we live 60 miles outside of Sacramento and August
has lots of 90F+ days). I generally spray it lightly for days during such a
tough stretch, and each year it comes back fine.

I was talking to a gardener about this and she offered that trees have
something like 1 main leaf and an auxiliary leaf, if the main dies the aux
takes over. Sometimes they have a few extra auxs. Does this translate into a
tree having two, maybe three lives if hit by a lack of water?

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net
Old 24-09-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

"W. Watson" wrote:
An irrigation line break caused a dawn redwood (9' tall) and a crabapple
(9') tall to lose their foliage in the heat of August (90F+) period. Intense
watering for two weeks brought almost all the foliage back on the crabapple,
and did a fairly good job on the dawn (meta sequoia). The dawn usually has
some trouble each August (we live 60 miles outside of Sacramento and August
has lots of 90F+ days). I generally spray it lightly for days during such a
tough stretch, and each year it comes back fine.

I was talking to a gardener about this and she offered that trees have
something like 1 main leaf and an auxiliary leaf, if the main dies the aux
takes over. Sometimes they have a few extra auxs. Does this translate into a
tree having two, maybe three lives if hit by a lack of water?

Your gardener obviously knows nothing about dawn redwood's growing
habits. Dawn redwood doesn't do well in dry soils. Actually it does
very well in areas that are too wet for most other trees. I have two
dawn redwood growing in a wildflower meadow that is always boggy and
they have doubled in size in the four years since I planted them...
one is now about 8', the other around 20'.

Crabapple prefers well drained soil, its prefered habitat is just
opposite of dawn redwood... I would not plant those two together...
you'd need to choose which one can live, and they definitely do not
compliment each other an aesthetically.

Old 25-09-2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

"W. Watson" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

No, there is no translation from trunk failure and branching rebound, AND,
drought conditions.

What the multi-tiered thing is when the trunk is damaged to the point it
can't produce any growing, a primary branch takes over, and so forth. A
pecan tree here is on the 2nd branch attempt. Culprit is a dog with anxiety
problems initially, and 2 dogs later.
Dave

Old 25-09-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

I talked with a botanist friend awhile ago, and he said the
primary/secondary idea is valid, but it applies within the year. That is, A
tree can make it through stressful situations per year, but if it still has
strength, the next year it gets to start anew leaf wise. The stress causes
stunting of the tree.

Dave wrote:
. ..

Old 25-09-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"W. Watson" wrote:
They are 300' apart.

Being 300' feet apart doesn't mean anything... they could be miles
apart, and if they are both in the same environment then distance
means zip. Three hundred feet is not much. My two dawn redwoods are
more than 600' apart, but are both in similarly boggy ground.

Old 26-09-2007, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

But, has nothing to do with drought conditions... Results from physical
injury caused external to the tree.

If you think you already have the answer, why the opposing replies?
Dave

"W. Watson" wrote in message
I talked with a botanist friend awhile ago, and he said the
primary/secondary idea is valid, but it applies within the year. That is, A
tree can make it through stressful situations per year, but if it still has
strength, the next year it gets to start anew leaf wise. The stress causes
stunting of the tree.

Dave wrote:
. ..