Old 25-09-2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
W. Watson W. Watson is offline

Default Protecting Irrigation Lines

The only strategy I can offer is to enclose the 1/2" drip lines in 1" PVC.
There are no 1/4" PVC tubes, so 1/2" would have to do for those. Burying
them by dumping dirt on them might do the trick. We do have a pretty large
pile of dirt on the property. I'll have to check into a small back hoe with
a loader. However, there would still be some areas that require manual labor.

W. Watson wrote:
On about 4 acres of property we have maybe 400' of black tubing 1/2"
(5/8"?) running above ground over often rocky terrain. We live in the
Sierra foothills at 2700' and rabbits, deer, and some other animals like
to pierce the the 1/2" tubing and the smaller 1/8" drip lines. It's
mostly done where the lines run through bushes. I guess they like to
munch on something while they are hiding under the shade. Burying the
line is a consideration, but it's hard work even with a medium trencher
because of the many underground rocks. PVC might be the best bet.
Perhaps 3/4" PVC main lines and 1/4" PVC (if it's made) over the smaller
lines. However, it might be good to have some flexibility as already
provided by the drip lines. Maybe there's something else that can be
done. Comments?

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net