Old 23-09-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Protecting Irrigation Lines

On about 4 acres of property we have maybe 400' of black tubing 1/2" (5/8"?)
running above ground over often rocky terrain. We live in the Sierra
foothills at 2700' and rabbits, deer, and some other animals like to pierce
the the 1/2" tubing and the smaller 1/8" drip lines. It's mostly done where
the lines run through bushes. I guess they like to munch on something while
they are hiding under the shade. Burying the line is a consideration, but
it's hard work even with a medium trencher because of the many underground
rocks. PVC might be the best bet. Perhaps 3/4" PVC main lines and 1/4" PVC
(if it's made) over the smaller lines. However, it might be good to have
some flexibility as already provided by the drip lines. Maybe there's
something else that can be done. Comments?
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net
Old 25-09-2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

The only strategy I can offer is to enclose the 1/2" drip lines in 1" PVC.
There are no 1/4" PVC tubes, so 1/2" would have to do for those. Burying
them by dumping dirt on them might do the trick. We do have a pretty large
pile of dirt on the property. I'll have to check into a small back hoe with
a loader. However, there would still be some areas that require manual labor.

W. Watson wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

FS: Drip irrigation lines, tomatoe cages, wheelbarrow Aus_Garden Texas 1 13-07-2005 12:50 PM
frost lines and shallow ponds O3raledale Ponds 12 06-09-2003 04:02 PM
Fences and Lot Lines pixi Gardening 16 17-07-2003 06:12 PM
Parallel lines in agriculture do meet? Phred sci.agriculture 7 26-04-2003 12:31 PM
Parallel lines in agriculture do meet? Phred sci.agriculture 7 30-03-2003 05:44 PM