Old 24-09-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dominic Lucas dominic Lucas is offline

Default Spacing of rows for raspberries

In article .com,
Rob G wrote:

I'm going to make a fruit cage over the winter. Space is a bit
constricted and naturally I want to pack in as much as possible !! My
books say 6 feet apart for the rows for raspberries - this is a bit
expensive on ground space for me, and I'm wondering if it can be
reduced to say 4 feet.

Thanks

Rob

I have successfully grown raspberries 9 inches apart! I would keep
different varieties about 18 inches apart, and that's only so I can see
the runners and stop them getting mixed up. If you're not bothered about
the varieties, then it shouldn't be a problem. I didn't notice a drop in
yield when I did this, and now I regularly plant 6-9 inches apart. The
issues are water, light and food, so with denser planting you have to be
more observant, but there's no reason why you shouldn't succeed. Also, I
prefer my rasps in a line, made picking easier.

When I didn't have a garden, I would have 5 canes in a large plastic
bucket (about 5 gallon), and had 3 buckets, all did very well ..

Hope that helped

Dominic