Old 25-09-2007, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] neil@nwjones.demon.co.uk is offline

Default Advice onSoftwood buddleia Cuttings

I have obtained some cuttings of a very rare and special variety of
Buddleia davidii.
I have never bothered propagating this plant as the best variety for
butterflies is usually the wild one and seedlings are easy to come by.
I have had to remove a small plant from my roof!

This one is special. It flowers later and is exceptionally good. I
have a few lengths of hardwood which I will stick in the ground. I
also have about 15 short two-3 inch lengths of side shoot mostly with
heels. Which I have been advised to plant as cuttings.

I suspect a 60 % perlite 40% coir base would be best but would welcome
advice as it will be at least a year before I go near the original
plant again and I had a seven hour journey home.

Also where should I put them. My choices are a cold greenhouse,
outside, or a room that is unheated ( a spare bathroom) and where it
is currently around 20c but where it can go below 10 in extremis in
the winter. But where I occasionally warm it to dry clothes over a gas
heater.

Neil Jones

http://www.butterflyguy.com/