Old 26-09-2007, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Jones Neil Jones is offline

Default Advice onSoftwood buddleia Cuttings

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:37:41 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article .com, Des
Higgins writes

I am no cuttings expert but given a choice between those above, I
would vote for the cold greenhouse.

Des

Bottom heat could help like soil cable in sand, they like their heads to
be coolish. If it's very rare then maybe it's a swine to propagate?
Colvilei is awful to root, weryiana is a doodle, so it helps to know
which one it is.
There is a silvery leafed variety that is almost impossible, can't
remember the name but it was at Chelsea about four years ago, has
slender long silvery leaves and insignificant flowers. I thought it was
silver ghost or silver wedding?

This variety is as I said in the original posting a variety of Davidii.
It is not rare because it is difficult to propagate. It is rare because it
is relatively new in cultivation. It has the standard colour flower but a
later flowering season. Indeed the parent plant is still flowering and
consequently attracting a lot of late butterflies when a lot of flowers
they would otherwise use have finished.

The parent plant was , I believe, obtained from its discoverer who found
it in China.

I think the standard colour is probably best for butterflies as it is the
natural colour which I would expect to have evolved for maximum
pollination.

Neil Jones

http://www.butterflyguy.com/