Old 26-09-2007, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another plant ID please

In article ,
says...

In article ,
"Clive in Kent" writes:
| "Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in message
|
| If this is the yellow flowered clematis you mentioned earlier (the use of
| JavaScript, if not worse, by MS Live means that the images don't display
| on my browser) then it's probably Clematis tangutica or Clematis
| orientalis or one of the ilk (orange-peel clematis).
|
| The clematis I mentioned earlier is indeed Clematis tangutica, as I remember
| now, however it's not the plant I'm currently querying.

It might well be "one of the ilk" - in my limited experience, most
plants sold as C. tangutica fit the description of C. orientalis
better. Not that it matters all that much ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

There is an easy way to tell, have a sniff tangutica and its close
hybrids smell of coconut, orientalis/tibetiana types have a more citrus
smell. only snag appears to be roughly 50% of people can not smell
either!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk