Old 03-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Raffia Or Substitute

Jim S wrote:

Is raffia (sp?) easily available in the U.S.? Or is there a

practical
substitute one can use to protect the bark?

You can find raffia I´m sure. A substitute would be some sort

of elastic
bandage and on top of that black electricians tape.

Tape isn't the best substitute as if often damages the bark on
some trees when it is removed. But don't forget duct tape. I'd
use that in preference to electrician's tape.

You can also use hemp cordage, but it needs to be applied very
wet and flattened by untwisting it a bit, so it's difficult.
Before everyone started using plastic cord, I used hay rope (used
to hold hay bales together).

But raffia is easy to find.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: