Old 28-09-2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default What is this problem?

Yeah, but he said the plant in question is a Dendrobium. My problem
spread to and killed every Phal but I have never had a Dendrobium look
anything like those pictures.
Since I'm replying, all also add my thought that I don't believe there
is a chance in the world that the pictured problem came from any
household cleaner. I could see something splashing on a leaf and causing
a few scattered spots but the leaves in the picture are affected wall to
wall.

Steve

Diana Kulaga wrote:
I believe it was Steve who lost his entire Phal collection over a couple of
years. No resolution as to what it was.

I have recently dealt with phythium. Lucky me. Very nasty disease, but it
didn't look like what Bruce (or Steve, for that matter) pictured.

Diana

"tenman" wrote in message

BruceM wrote:

Dendrobium, west facing window, 1 " faux blinds cracked about 1.5 inches
open. Plant about 6 inces from blind

Has that brown / red sand look like a spider mite infestation, but high
power magnification shows no mites, and it does not run or rinse off.
Close viewing looks like pitting of the leaves

http://home.tx.rr.com/lec/1.jpg
http://home.tx.rr.com/lec/2.jpg

There was a great deal of discussion at one time about this problem. I
don't believe it's from comet or anything else like it. It was called
'mocrofungus' by some, but neither pesticides nor fungicides worked on it.
Some guessed it was an as-yet unID'd virus. From all the postings I read
it seemd it was most often eventually fatal to the plants, but some said
they had plants eventually (2-4 years) grow out of it. There was some
speculation as to its contagiousness and most folks who had it on a plant
pitched the plant just in case.

I don't think there was ever a resolution to the issue, but it seemed to
affect a lot of collections.